1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Bowl size sweet spot.. your personal opinion

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Degenetron, Nov 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Degenetron

Degenetron Member

So i was browsing the forum and dropped by Adry's sales thread where Dmkerr asked about a large pipe. I was somewhat surprised about the measurements he gave as i didn't even know pipes came that large. His preferences aside.. it made me wonder about peoples preferred chamber size.

I realize it depends on tobacco and so on, but even disregarding that i would have a hard time going over/under certain dimensions.

Currently my 3 favourite pipes based on sizes are:

My peterson 312 system with a bowl measuring aproximately 18mm diamneter x 42mm depth. I use this for MacBaren Club blend.

My Squatchdog measuring 19mm x 26mm. I have dedicated this to Penzance as this tobacco for some reason seems to taste excellently at first, but seems to somewhat deteriorate after so many puffs for me..

and my Sasq .. "Mans pipe" (according to his site.. im not gonna argue ;)) measuring 21mm x 45.5mm This i use for rlp-6 and chocolate passion from mission pipe shop as they burn rather fast and a bigger pipe is needed.

Now i don't mean to put you on the spot or say anything about "correct" sizes, dmkerr.. i was just rather puzzled that someone would use such a large pipe and thought i'd get some opinions :)

EDIT: Now if i had to choose one, i would go with the smallest, the BST. I can't really come up with some logical or even coherent reason as to why, but i suppose i find a smaller bowl more versatile..

2. user1975

user1975 Active Member

Well, I'm not sure of the exact dimensions, but my larger pipes like my Caminetto Business 139KS I usually smoke mostly English blends that are ribbon cut or fully rubbed out because it has a deep, tapered bowl. I have several pipes that have a shallower, but wider bowl that I smoke my flake tobaccos in, although I have nothing quite as large as the pipe Dmkerr was asking about.

3. Degenetron

Degenetron Member

interest√ľng.. PErsonally i find myself preferring small to medium width bowl for flakes. More often than not i find a wider bowl somehow messes up the flavour.. dunno why.. coming fro cigars it makes even less sense as thicker cigars seem to give more flavour than thinner ones..

Depends on the flake too ofc.. im more inclined to put something like SG balkan or 1792 into a slim tall stack sorta pipe than i am a light virginia type flake.

4. user1975

user1975 Active Member

Do you rub your flakes out or fold and stuff? Just curious,I fold and stuff mostly.

5. Degenetron

Degenetron Member

yeah, i rub them out . Pretty anal about it actually.. If i can, they're rubbed out untill it's more or less ribbon. For the more sticky stuff like Balkan flake or 1792.. or whatever else thats sorta not gonna ribbon up.. it goes into very small pieces.

EDIT: 1792 will actually ribon up pretty descently.. Balkan wont.. it is horrendous lol..

6. Degenetron

Degenetron Member

I've actually never tried to fold and stuff. Any suggestions as to a tobacco to try it with?

7. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

One thing I didn't point out is that I smoke mostly meerschaum pipes. Ghosting is minimal. I do separate latakia, lakelands and aromatics in their own pipes, but the rest of the styles go into the same batch of pipes. So when I smoke something incredibly strong, I simply fill my large bowl up halfway. There's no point in my getting a puny pipe for something like Kendal Kentucky or Irish Flake because I don't smoke those all the time and the puny pipe would sit and collect dust. So there's a utilitarian aspect to it as well.

Without regard for high nic tobaccos, I've never found the tobacco that develops better in a small bowl. There are many, particularly aromatics, that deteriorate rapidly as the smoke progresses, but I don't smoke those blends. In other words, if a tobacco does not at least maintain its integrity down the bowl (and many improve!), it is not an appropriate tobacco for me. Blend development is a crucial aspect of smoking for me. In a small pipe, the blend has yet to reach its maximum flavor and the tobacco is gone. In a large pipe (bowl holding, say, 10 grams of tobacco), it gives the blend time to reach optimum flavor.

I don't get to smoke too often (1 bowl per workday, 3 per day on weekends) and I"m sure as hell not going to cheat myself out of the potential for a perfect smoke by running out of tobacco before it's reached its optimal state.

Mark w4mms likes this.
  8. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I dont know the dimensions .. but a dunhill group 4 size seems to work good enough for anything . If it's a bliss thing yer after , then it depends on the pipe , blend, pack and how you smoke . A very unique combo , to say the least .The way I smoke , along with a little Kaywoodie octagon dublin and Firedance .. is a combo that is perfect ... but if I handed the pipe and tobacco to someone else ... it may not work for them at all . On the other end ... I have a monster Kaywoodie Billiard [ huge ] ... filled with SWRA is perfect bliss . A wide pot shape filled w/ PS LTF is heaven to me but many dont like pots [ theyre tricky ] . The group 4 seems to be in the middle and just works !

Mark w4mms likes this.
  9. Jayson H Bucy

Jayson H Bucy Member

I tend to like smaller bowls because I smoke outside.

10. user1975

user1975 Active Member

That makes perfect sense to me.

11. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

Flakes are the only thing I know I like in a 3/4" bore, tall bowl. Everything else seems to go in whatever I put it in. I've got 13/16" & 7/8" conical shaped bowls and 3/4" tall & short bowls, and they all smoke pretty good.

Mark w4mms likes this.
  12. WayneTeipen

WayneTeipen Member

I prefer group 3 or 4 sized pipes overall with a cylindrical tobacco chamber. My favorite chamber diameter is 13/16" but it's not a deal breaker for me depending on the pipe. 3/4" chambers work well too for certain tobaccos and are my second preference. The only pipe's I smoke with larger chambers are pots. I have two with 7/8" chambers and like to smoke them. Anything larger than that and I feel the tobacco flavors start to diminish. I'm much more picky about chamber depths. I don't like tobacco chambers that are much deeper than 1.5".

Mark w4mms likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.