Bowl Size

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Stinger4me, Mar 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stinger4me

Stinger4me Member

Are there some bowl shapes/sizes which lend themselves to Virginia blends? Maybe somebody has some experience with this.

Stinger

2. craig

craig Active Member

i use falcons, i tried using a virginia burley mix with a larger plymouth bowl and it got hot and overly sour, but with a billiard bowl, it really shone, it was flavourful and the bowl itself only got slightly warm, for me bowl sizes that are similar to the falcon billiard would be a good choice for virginia blends (just so you know here are the sizes....bowl height: 30mm, bowl diameter: 35mm, bore: 19mm)

3. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

The standard straight billiard with a bowl size of 3/4 x 1 1/2 works well for me.

4. Pecci

Pecci Active Member

More important to me is the length of the airway. VA burn hot and the longer stem &/or shank offers a cooler, more enjoyable smoke.

5. craig

craig Active Member

ive found the falcon offers help to this the smoke gets cooled and makes virginia mixes more palatable.
    the mix im liking at the moment is just a straight up virginia burley mix no scents or casings and i get away with this without a hint of bite if i take it slow

6. Pecci

Pecci Active Member

What blend of VA/BUR are you liking specifically? I like such blends too!

7. Longshanks

Longshanks He who shall; so shall he... wait, who?

I posted this link once before - it's an article I read that described why certain shapes worked best with certain tobacco. The article recommended the pot, prince, etc (essentially an equally tall/wide tobacco chamber) for English tobacco and billiard, apple, oom Paul, etc (taller than it is wide) for Virginia. As with anything you read on the net, take it with a grain of salt. Here's the link:
    http://www.apassionforpipes.com/nei...-that-magic-fit-between-pipe-and-tobacco.html

Stonewall likes this.
  8. craig

craig Active Member

Its a shag cut made by gawith and hoggarth its called kendal mixed but if its pouched up as an otc its called kendal north star.
    Its very subtle when the pouch is opened and smoked but the flavours are gorgeous and very moreish

9. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

Im going to have to revisit this blend. I was surprised with it. It has a bit of a punch. Or at least I thought it did at the time I initially smoked it. Yep, I'm going to revisit it tomorrow.

10. craig

craig Active Member

It is surprisingly strong for what it is and surprisingly a quite slow smoker i love the stuff once you get that certain knack to packing and smokibg the rewards are epic

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.