Bracken Flake?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by dubhdarra, May 19, 2010.

?

should i buy it or wait for the 1792

1. pull the trigger and quit whining.

14 vote(s)
    70.0%
  2. sweat it out and quit whining.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. i dont care just quit whining.

6 vote(s)
    30.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

So i'm sick of waiting around for more 1792. i've had a few minor windfalls, including a generous donation of about an ounce from oglethorpe and a gentleman at the NY pipe club, but i'm running low and i've been craving the sweet black juice of tonquin loaded tabac lately.

bracken flake was recommended by someone as a good stand in, higher nicotine content but a very similar flavor profile. anyone tried it? i'm trying to figure out whether to buy a pound or if i should just sweat out the DT's and wait for the freaking gawith elves to ship some more of their magical leaf from the land of kendal, whenever tehy get around to it.

anyone tried it? reviews? recommendations? warnings???

to buy, or not to buy? that is the question.

2. Rugbysh9

Rugbysh9 Active Member

Best poll of the year Dub!

3. The German Shepherd

The German Shepherd Member

Bracken does not have nearly the tonquin of 1792....

J.

4. Brian

Brian Member

It has more nicotine than 1792? I thought 1792 already was supposed to be strong enough to kill a horse. I've always been afraid of it.

5. t-bear

t-bear Active Member

I like this stuff. Not quite the Tonquin of 1792 but a good jolt of nicotine. I'd pick up 8 oz or so until the SG Gods decide to smile our way again............

Anyone know where a feller could pick up some straight Tonquin? If so, a dab of that in the BF would do the trick!

6. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

thanks for the help... i was hoping for a few more reviews. I've got orders in for a pound of 1792 from both pipesandcigars and mars cigars, but they've both been standing orders for about a month and a half now. i'm gonna call over to P&C later on today and see if they can find any bracken, and order some of that. figuring 4oz ought to do it, whats the longest it could possibly be to the next gawith shipment? another month???

7. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

This kind of dangerous thinking isn't uncommon in novice smokers or first-time sport-parachutists. I suppose there is something to be said for a natural sense of self-preservation. Fear of the unknown, however, can just as easily paralyze a pipe smoker as it can an entire nation.

Fortunately, providence has rewarded us with smaller pipes so we can smoke lesser amounts of flavorable, but otherwise ass-kicking, tobaccos. As with the semois I just got into, Brakner Flake, 1792 and others can be a nicotine handful for some. This doesn't mean don't smoke it - it means smoke a little less and enjoy the stuff.

While I wouldn't suggest smoking half-an-ounce of 1792 on an empty stomach I certainly would encourage anyone to fill a typical bowl 1/2 full and puff on. Wonderful stuff. Shouldn't be missed.

8. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Dub, what else do you like to smoke? It seems like you are really jonesing for something that realistically may not be here for months.

In the past, when I have been close to running out of stuff, I have been forced to call McC, or C&D and say, "I love (insert name), what can you give me that's close?" Sometimes you get a loser, but sometimes you come up with some pretty good stuff.

The Lakeland and Jersey stuff is as scarce as I have ever seen it, I'm sure you know about SG's problems, and I don't know wtf is going on with Esoterica, so maybe you do some contingency planning? There is just too much good stuff out there to sweat over one brand.

(All that being said, if I don't get a couple more pounds of Penzance by the end of this year, I'm going to lock myself in my closet and cry like a little girl!)

9. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

i actually smoke a lot of other stuff, even when i have it in abundance 1792 is about a one bowl every two to three days smoke. i'm balls deep in virginias, vapers, light englishes, and tins of all sorts of **** as well as OTCs, even black xx twist to the order of a pound. i'm just really craving tonquin.

10. Oglethorpe

Oglethorpe Active Member

That black xx twist you sent me is some ridiculous ****. Tobacco twisted into a rope and dipped in motor oil.

11. t-bear

t-bear Active Member

Yeah, but it's damned GOOD motor oil!

12. Wydeboi

Wydeboi Member

Pardon my ignorance, but who make Bracken flake?

13. Neuromancer

Neuromancer Member

Samuel Gawith...

14. Wydeboi

Wydeboi Member

Thanks. I need to check that out. :012:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.