1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Break-in

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by WVDAVE, Oct 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WVDAVE

WVDAVE Member

Does it matter what type tobacco you use to break-in a new pipe? I read that you should use a burley, but I'm going to use this pipe for VA.s only. Are there any good threads or links to breaking in a pipe? I did a search and I'm having trouble finding some. Thanks.

2. nitehawk

nitehawk Active Member

VA flake create's a carbon cake pretty quick.

3. woody

woody Admin Admin

I've read that Carter Hall will cake up a new pipe fast. I just smoke what I want and don't worry about it.

4. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

I think Va makes the best with PA able to make cake quickly.

I use Va in everything but a cob for break-in. And PA in a cob all the time.

nitehawk likes this.
  5. nitehawk

nitehawk Active Member

LOL.....PA in a cob, is my first smoke of the day.......everyday.

6. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

I agree with Nitehawk. Virginias are fine for breaking a pipe in. I subscribe to the theory that Virginias build a thinner harder cake, while Burley builds thicker, softer cake. I've seen enough old, codger pipes with thick cake that flakes off if you look at it funny, and I have enough pipes that have smoked Virginias for years with a nice dime-size hard cake to believe that there's something to this. I think it has something to do with the sugar content.

Mark w4mms and nitehawk like this.
  7. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

This.

8. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

Yep same here. I just figure out what tobacco I want to dedicate to the certain pipe - VA, English, Aro, Burley or VAPER, and let 'er rip.

9. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

Nothing wrong with this approach either. I have several pipes that were English pipes from the word go, and they're just fine.

Mark w4mms likes this.
  10. Mike Pomery

Mike Pomery Active Member

I reckon the finer the cut, the easier it will break in. Shag/Ribbon cut smokes a bit dryer than flake and others, so you would get less moisture hampering cake buildup.

Mark w4mms likes this.
  11. Jay

Jay Active Member

Smoke what you want to smoke in that pipe, it will break in nicely if it is dedicated to a certain tobacco

Mark w4mms likes this.
  12. Jay

Jay Active Member

But, I tend to smoke a brand new pipe with a few bowls of CArter Hall first, just to get her warmed up.

It tends to make a good foundation for your dedicated leaf.

There are no wrong answers here IMO

But half bowls first, to get the heel carboned up

Mark w4mms likes this.
  13. WVDAVE

WVDAVE Member

Thanks, guys. I smoke MC 5100 Red Cake, so this should be fine then, correct? Why half bowls first?

14. shadow

shadow Active Member

Hi there!
    The theory behind "half bowls first" is to build up a cake in the heel/bottom first before going all the way to the top.
    I myself have always filled the bowl at least 2/3 or even completely full, even when breaking her in!
    But the main thing is to smoke SLOWLY!!!! There's no point in rushing the break-in process!!!! And if the pipe get too hot just let it cool...and light up again.
    And I always make sure that ALL the tobacco is smoked.... all the way down.... no leftovers..... just ash.
    Enjoy!:bing:

Jussto, Jesla and Mark w4mms like this.
  15. user1975

user1975 Active Member

Yeah, what Shadow said.

16. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

I break my pipes in with a flake and a half of Condor at regular intervals throughout the day!....gets the job done quickly, and imparts that special flavor and aroma to the bowl, that I am so enamoured with!:rolleyes:
    OT :th1:

17. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

Shadow..... the man!....

.....err...... you would be but your a shadow. :p

+1

shadow likes this.
  18. DGErwin11

DGErwin11 Moderator Moderator

I wonder if the half bowl theory started because the first few smokes in a new briar or cob are really not very pleasant. So if one smokes only a half bowl for the first few smokes, one limits the "pain". Oh well, maybe we overthink these things.

19. Russell Hartman

Russell Hartman Stay Silver

I recently broke a new one in using VA, and gotta admitt I never do the 1/4 bowl, half bowl etc. as far as breaking in a pipe. I simply load it up, and make sure to smoke the pipe to the bottom of the bowl. I tend to give a new pipe VERY serious breaks between the time I smoke them so as to let moisture, and heat to work its way out evenly. Maybe I am doing the break in thing wrong, but haven't had any major issues yet. I usually will let the pipe rest for 3 days before smoking it again---my last pipe was 2 days in between. So far--nice carbon layer began to build right down to the bottom.

20. DGErwin11

DGErwin11 Moderator Moderator

It is only wrong if a) you burn a hole in it or b) it just smokes crappy. If what you do works for you, by definition you are doing it right.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.