breaking in a pipe tobacco...

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by MrJarvis, Jun 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrJarvis

MrJarvis Member

Ok, I just got burnout.

lesson learned. Im going to burleys for a while.

I have heard the best blends for breaking in a pipe are prince albert and carter hall.

I notice prince albert has a regular, a soft vanilla, a cherry vanilla, etc.

does one of these work better for breaking in pipes than others?

Also, on the tobaccoreviews site they list the main blend as being alcohol/liquor flavored. Im thinking this is only meaning to refer to the whiskey flavored blend, but do they all have a booze flavoring??

2. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

Tobaccoreviews in my opinion is a joke with lots of disinformation and poorly written reviews about different tobacco blends, Prince Albert in any of it's flavors, Carter Hall or SWR will work just fine for breaking in a pipe, don't believe everything you read at tobaccoreviews.

MrJarvis likes this.
  3. MrJarvis

MrJarvis Member

so the other question is have is does the general basic blend have any kind of booze flavoring to it? Im a recovering alcoholic, so I avoid those types of blends completely.

4. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

I have smoked both Carter Hall and Prince Albert and detect no alcohol in these blends.

Artistik and MrJarvis like this.
  5. MrJarvis

MrJarvis Member

ok, great thanks!

6. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

Your welcome, pick up a pouch of Carter Hall if you can find it locally, I think you will find it an enjoyable smoking experience while breaking in your new pipe.

Artistik likes this.
  7. MrJarvis

MrJarvis Member

i cant find it anywhere! I called wallgreens, walmart, and my local smoke shop doesnt carry OTC's at all (or any pipe tobacco that doesnt come in bulk)...

8. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

Do you have any local cigarette discount stores? They usually carry OTC pipe tobaccos, if not, you will have to go online and I would recommend the WV SmokeShop. www.wvsmokeshop.com

9. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

At the risk of getting flamed here, I do not smoke anything through a pipe that I do not want to smoke, particularly when breaking it in. If I'm going to smoke Va's out of a pipe, I break it in with Va's. If you LIKE OTC's then use them to break in a pipe. If you don't like them, why do penance?

And as long as I'm saying unpopular things, maybe check out Lane's Best Burley Without Bite (BBWB). I like it in a cob.

10. Marker

Marker Active Member

I broke in my canadian Sav with Dunhill 965 and that is the only tobacco it has ever seen. Go big or go home...

11. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

I believe this thread started from another post where he was breaking in a new pipe with a moist aromatic and the pipe got hot and caused a crack in the bottom of the bowl and he wants to smoke a tobacco that will smoke drier and help fill in and cake over the crack in the bottom of the bowl and why the recommendation for a Burley.

12. MrJarvis

MrJarvis Member

in my best phill hartman impersonating ed mcmahon voice "you are CORRECT sir!"

Spillproof likes this.
  13. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

Mea culpa. Sorry for adding any confusion.

cobbsmoker likes this.
  14. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

Not a problem Spill, I would agree with your advice under normal circumstance. :beck:

Spillproof likes this.
  15. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

If you have access to a cigar you can also use what pipe smokers call "pipe mud" to fill in and cover over that crack. It is no more than cigar ash mixed with a drop or two of water into a stiff paste, applied to the bottom of the bowl, smoothed out and allowed to cure for a couple of days.

Artistik likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.