1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Brigham Pipes

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by nesta, Sep 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

I've been considering getting once in a while for a time now. There's only one thing that stops me - lack of information about them.

Does anyone have them? They seem to have a strong brand presence for a pipe I've NEVER heard of somebody smoking. Somebody's gotta be buying them....so are you one of them? I want to hear people's impression of them. Their unique filter system is intriguing but also deterring (the filters are a bit more expensive than Savinelli, and I don't know if it would disrupt the flow of the pipe to smoke without them)

Anyway, I just want to hear your thoughts on them. Surely they make a few good looking pipes at pretty decent prices.

2. Steve Broms

Steve Broms Member

I own and smoke http://www.cupojoes.com/cgi-bin/spgm?dpt=W&srch=DW&item=brgvoy123 at the moment. I never really cared for filters myself, so I removed the filter after the first smoke. I don't notice much of a difference to be honest. The bowl can get warm, but it takes alot for the smoke to get hotter.

Overall, not a bad pipe for the price. I think I paid 49 bucks? Although I wish I'd just gone and bought a meer instead. The only thing I don't like is the bowl width on this.

3. SenatorXMG

SenatorXMG Member

From a post I made on another forum:

I have 6 Brighams....being Canadian, I figured my collection needed to have a little patriotism. Ha ha!

They're fine pipes but I honestly don't smoke them much anymore. Just have too many others that I prefer. The filter system is cool...the rock maple filters soak up a lot of moisture for new smokers or just wet smoking tobaccos/pipes.

I've got mostly older ones but also have one of the newer ones, too. I prefer the older canadian made ones...aluminum tubes and better quality in my opinion. The newer ones have plastic tubes and are made overseas now.

Tanman likes this.
  4. CMcF

CMcF Member

I'm just behind you at 5 Senator, I own 13 or so pipes and the Brighams tend to be my "go to" pipes. I really like their filter system and as one who clenches and blows a little down the stem I find they make a huge difference in the amount of moisture I accumulate. As far as their cost, as a percentage of what I spend on the hobby overall the cost is negligible. You can get upwards of 30 or so smokes from one filter. I also only smoke any pipe once a day and I take the filter out of the pipe until it is dry (you'll see quite a colour change). There are so many different aspects in pipe smoking it's kinda hard to say what is "good" or "bad" and not just different, for instance Meerschaum is unreal the way it allows different flavours to come through and yet my Meer is not my favorite by any stretch which is in fact one of my Brighams. There's just something about the shape of it and the way it hangs. It just "fits perfectly" you know? And it's not even the top line Brigham that I own, it's a one dot, I also have a two and a three dot again both excellent pipes. I enjoy all of my pipes but some are better suited for different occasions. As far as never hearing about them, well it's a Canadian brand smoked mostly by Canadians and we're far to polite to go around bragging about our great pipes all the time. ;)

All in all all I can say is I really like my Brighams. It seems like some guys are cob guys, and some guys are meer guys and some guys are Falcon guys and so I guess you could say I'm a Brigham guy. If you do decide to pull the trigger I hope you enjoy it and have as many good smokes as I've had from mine!

5. Tanman

Tanman Member

My Brigham 363 Mountaineer was the second pipe I bought; have to say it's probably the best smoker I have as far as my briars go; thinking at some point of purchasing the Mountaineer 336. Overall not a bad pipe whatsoever.

6. SenatorXMG

SenatorXMG Member

7. Tanman

Tanman Member

8. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

They are new to the States. Brian Levine (sp?) left smokingpipes to be their US guy, and they have been humped here ever since. I had a few when I was younger, as I had easy access to them.
    Decent quality, good price, not a lot to dislike about them. Some of their tobacco is pretty good as well, but I don't think it's available in the States.

9. basil

basil Member

my brigham was my first pipe and i prefer it to anything else ive ever smoked.

10. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Ew. Now I'm definitely not going to pay money for one! :eek:

11. beaupipe

beaupipe Active Member

I have a few older Brighams (the ones with the aluminum tenons) and I enjoy smoking them. I use the filters and I usually smoke aromatics in them. However...even though I'm fond of the whole "Made in Canada" thing of the older Brighams, I'm not sure that they compete all that favorably with Stanwells or Savinellis in the same price range. I think their factory stems are not as comfortable as they could be. Still, I like the older ones and freely confess that my enjoyment of them is more than a little colored by local pride. After all, I used to live quite close to the old Brigham factory in Parkdale (west-ish Toronto) and I purchased one of my first ever pipes from a sweet little old lady in the cramped shop they used to operate out of the factory. The factory was only a couple doors south of Toronto's best cheese shop, so I never needed to make excuses for visiting the place.

12. Arkie

Arkie Well-Known Member

I've got a Brigham volcano/brandy (can't decide which shape it is). It is one of the best looking pipes I own and I like the filter system but it is not a good smoker because it's tough to get a cleaner thru the stummel even with the stem removed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.