1. This forum is for DIY Repair, Maintenance & Restoration. It is for people seeking advice on maintaining their own pipes. It is not for showing off commercial work done by yourself or anyone else.

Dismiss Notice

Buffing RPM Speed

Discussion in 'Repair, Maintenance & Restoration' started by User3940, Dec 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. user3221

user3221 Member

:th1:

2. Jwb

Jwb Member

I just bought one of these as well. It slows te 50 buck harbor freight buffer way down. Good economical set up. My wife had better watch out....I'm on a polishing tear!

aggman likes this.
  3. aggman

aggman Member

It's easy to get carried away - let's see some pics of the polishing results.

User3940 likes this.
  4. Jwb

Jwb Member

Ok. Let me get a couple more under my belt!

5. Jwb

Jwb Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Here is a stem I started on. Not perfect but I didn't bleach it or sandpaper either!
    Heh..figured out how to make the photo thing work!

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
    User3940 and aggman like this.
  6. aggman

aggman Member

Big difference. Oxyclean is easy and cheap. I also have great luck using just a magic eraser on stems if they are just discolored and don't need bite marks sanded. The magic eraser leaves the stem with a matte finish and the and shines up very nice with carnauba.

Jwb and User3940 like this.
  7. Jwb

Jwb Member

I have used oxy,magic eraser, bar keepers friend.....all with mixed results. I guess the oxy works better than anything.

That pipe was my first real pipe. Bought in 1990 or so. I stopped smoking her when I went over to English blends. You could still smell the Vanilla but I ozoned her today as well. Did a pretty good job getting it out. I had never done that before.

aggman likes this.
  8. t-bear

t-bear Active Member

I want a pic of the cat.....polished! LOL
    Nice work on that stem. with practice and patience, you can make them look better than new.

el guero and Jwb like this.
  9. User3940

User3940 Active Member

The cat has been difficult to find since the Tripoli treatment. I fear that once I find her I will have to start over. :csmile:

el guero likes this.
  10. TWolf

TWolf Member

Before:
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]

It even has that signature Coastie rustication!

el guero, aggman and User3940 like this.
  11. User3940

User3940 Active Member

Here kitty kitty kitty.

12. Jwb

Jwb Member

While I ordinarily wouldn't advise you use on a pipe, I think Jewler's Rouge will take out those wrinkles....

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
  13. User3940

User3940 Active Member

If that works then I am doing a self facial tonight. Stay tuned.

14. aggman

aggman Member

Nice ring grain! Another fine job, Coastie!

15. Jwb

Jwb Member

Nothing is going to cure old salty dog face wrinkles!

16. User3940

User3940 Active Member

I earned everyone of em, guess I should just wear em.
    [​IMG]

Jwb likes this.
  17. aggman

aggman Member

Since you got the new buffer - curious if you have tried Paragon, Halcyon and Carnuba and could offer some feedback on which is better in your opinion.

18. User3940

User3940 Active Member

First - this is my opinion and not the opinion of the management. :byg:

That is a pretty easy comparison......there is no comparison. Seriously, I have used Halcyon II wax, but not Paragon. From what I understand Halcyon II is recommended for pipes with rustification and Paragon for smooth pipes. They will both put a shine on the pipe, but it is more of a subdued shine, and is not a shine that will last any length of time. The heat from the pipe and the oils from your hands will remove the shine pretty fast. These waxes do not necessarily embed into the wood grain, but sit on top of it. You can get them to embed to a small degree by heating up the briar prior to application, but it is still not a tough shine.

Carnuba however is the Cadillac of shines, IMHO. Carnuba needs to be put on with a buffing wheel as it relies on the heat of the buffer to "set" the wax. And once the Carnuba wax is set you get a beautifully bright and radiant shine which hilites the briar wood grain. The Carnuba, like any wax will dull over time, but a quick pass on the buffing wheel will bring it back to life, and occasionally you may have to reapply. But the life of Carnuba is hands down longer than Halcyon or Paragon. To get the best results from Carnuba you need to properly prepare the pipe though. Make sure the surface is clean. Remove all scratches and marks with Micromesh pads and/or Tripoli compound on a buffing wheel. Then polish the surface with White Diamond compound to bring out the shine, and then apply one or two coats of Carnuba. Carnuba also works well on stems and helps to slow down oxidation while providing a nice luster.

19. aggman

aggman Member

That's what I wanted to hear. I have the carnuba and white diamond - I won't waste tme / $$ on the others. Thanks.

20. User3940

User3940 Active Member

Pick yourself up a bar of Tripoli and a dedicated buffing wheel for it. The Tripoli is great for removing shallow scratches and swirls from the surface before you polish and wax. The Tripoli also works good on the stem for removing some of the oxidation that is deep seated. Just use caution as you can actually remove logos if you do not use the Tripoli sparingly or use to much pressure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.