1. This forum is for DIY Repair, Maintenance & Restoration. It is for people seeking advice on maintaining their own pipes. It is not for showing off commercial work done by yourself or anyone else.

Dismiss Notice

Buffing RPM Speed

Discussion in 'Repair, Maintenance & Restoration' started by User3940, Dec 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jwb

Jwb Member

I have used both. Paragon and Halcyon are good if you do not have a buffer but the shine/protection doesnt last as long. The cool thing about carnuba is that it seems to harden up a bit on the surface and takes longer to wear off. Kinda like Turtle Wax for pipes! lol

I dont think it would work well on the buffer....but I admit I havent tried it.

2. Jwb

Jwb Member

By it I mean Halycon and Paragon on a buffer

3. User3940

User3940 Active Member

Using Halcyon or Paragon wax with a buffer would be futile. The speed of the buffing wheel would simply melt the wax off the surface and absorb it into the wheel. The compound in Carnuba is made to react to the heat of a buffing wheel, so the wheel activates and sets the Carnuba.

4. aggman

aggman Member

Coastie - I'm gonna have to practice more. Your picture you posted on this thread is gone now, but the finish was like glass - I've done OK with my wheels and carnuba, but I haven't been able to achieve that yet.

5. User3940

User3940 Active Member

The key is to make sure your briar is prepared before using Tripoli, White Diamond, then Carnuba. I usually take a pipe down with 220, then work 320, 400, 500, 1000, 1200, then the entire series of Micromesh pads, 1500, 1800, 2400, 3200, 3500, 4000, 6000, 8000 and 12000. I do not wet sand, too messy. I thoroughly wipe down the pipe between each grit. By the time that I am done the briar is super smooth and all of the grain shows beautifully. I will then apply whatever dye I am going to use. Once the dye is set I will use the Micromesh pads again and rub the color out to the shade that I want. Again wiping down between grits. I will then use the Tripoli, then the White Diamond, then the Carnuba. Sounds time intensive, but I enjoy it and it is well worth the work.

I also try to sand in the same direction throughout all of the grits.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
    Jwb likes this.
  6. aggman

aggman Member

You just outlined my upcoming weekend - off to find the new "project pipe"! You recommend the Fiebings dyes?

7. User3940

User3940 Active Member

Yes. I have used other dyes/stains with poor results, but Fiebings is great stuff and comes in a wide variety of colors. Search for "Fiebings Leather Dye" on Amazon. You can find some great prices.

8. aggman

aggman Member

I'm lucky that there is a Tandy Leather Co. store in town, so I can satisfy my instant gratification syndrome. Tandy should have a full selection.

Jwb and User3940 like this.
  9. Jwb

Jwb Member

I didn't think about Tandy. There is one right down the street.

10. User3940

User3940 Active Member

You guys suck. I live in a small desert town in New Mexico that doesn't have crap. Enjoy your Tandy Leather Co. CRAP! :bag:

Jwb likes this.
  11. Jwb

Jwb Member

But we don't have beautiful scenery like you do. Answer me this. I assume you are ex coast guard. I don't know if you noticed but there is no ocean in New Mexico! You waiting on California to slide into the ocean?

12. User3940

User3940 Active Member

Tan, brown, dust, snakes, scorpions, coyotes and cactus are far from beautiful after you have lived around it for 20 years.

I moved the family here after I retired from the Coast Guard so that my wife could be near her family. Now we have done the "near family" thing and will be moving back to the Pacific Northwest in 2015. Back to the water and civilization.

Jwb likes this.
  13. Jwb

Jwb Member

I really like the desert. But I can see where I would want waterand trees at some point!

14. aggman

aggman Member

LOL!

15. aggman

aggman Member

I followed your advice. The timing was good - a friend asked about pipe smoking last week - he wants to kick the cigs and take up a pipe. So I picked up a pipe at the antique store, got some Tripoli from Woodcraft, hit Tandy Leather for some Fiebings dye and went to work (sanding through all the micromesh pads). I'm going to put together this pipe and a little kit of tobacco, pipe cleaners and a tamper for him to start out right. The Adding the Toripoli really prior to White Diamond and Carnuba made a big difference. Thanks for the good guidance!

Before:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
    Jwb likes this.
  16. User3940

User3940 Active Member

Huge difference between the BEFORE and AFTER. Nice save/nice work. Your friend is going to appreciate that Grabow and your generosity.

17. Riff Raff

Riff Raff Active Member

Interesting, I just tried this unit on my 3450 RPM Sears dual-arbor buffing motor and it did not work at all, so I returned it to Harbor Freight. It would slow down the motor, but when I applied any pressure to the wheel, I could stop the pad. Then, it would slowly spin back to the designated speed, but I could buff with this setup. (their spec says it is a "router" speed control)

http://www.harborfreight.com/router-speed-control-43060.html
    http://www.harborfreight.com/media/...b33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_18028.jpg

The speed control Super K posted sounds interesting, but the specs say not to use on a capacitor start motors - don't most electric motors have capacitors?

18. User3940

User3940 Active Member

:popc:

19. aggman

aggman Member

I experience the same issue, but this has actually been useful - it prevents me from getting too aggressive building heat when polishing - especially on stems. I generally set it to medium or high - low is useless (stops right away). I got some hot spots on a stem when I first got the polishing wheel and had to re-sand it with the micromesh pads to remove the blemish. I guess if you like to get real aggressive or use the wheel for heavy polishing and finish removal, this is probably not the best thing. For the price, it works well for me. And if I want to buff / polish other materials I switch the control from Variable to Full and go to town.

20. Jwb

Jwb Member

That is a HECK of a job. Looks great!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.