Bulk blends...

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by mongo, Apr 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mongo

mongo Active Member

Howdy all, not sure if this question belongs here or the Old Fart section...

So, my first half dozen or so tobaccos I have tried have all been bulk blends from a handful of different establishments that are local to me. With one exception, I had received very little in the line of education and explanation of what the blends are and what the different types of tobacco are. So, it's been hit or miss for me. Luckily, I was able to smoke some English blends with latakia in it as a sample and found out it was something I didn't care for. What I did find, and REALLY like is a Burley blend from Bull and Bear in St. Charles called "Bear's choice".

So.... just WHERE do these blends come from? Are there the same blend, with probably different names being sold at different establishments? Are they all sourced from one or two common suppliers? I can and will make the drive to St. Chas to refill when needed, but I have at least three places within very short driving distances that sell bulk tobacco too. Just wondering if I can get the same blend, maybe named differently, but closer.

2. daveinlax

daveinlax Member

McClelland, Lane, Peter Stokkebye, Altadis and to a lesser extent Mac Baren and Cornel and Diehl among others all make bulk tobaccos that are often renamed by shops. Be sure to come to CPCC Pipe show in St Charles in a couple of weeks for a wide selection of samples. :confused:
    I thought B&B was closing???

3. mongo

mongo Active Member

Bull and Bear closing? I don't think so, there was some kind of kerfluffle a few years back with their landlord and smoke issues... but I am fairly certain that was resolved in favor of B&B. That would be an atrocity upon humanity if they closed! I do plan on making Sunday of the upcoming pipe show, and also stop at B&B on the way back.

4. pipealicious

pipealicious Member

Hi forum fellows,

I'm eager to start off on a bulk tour, I've tried a handful of Boswell's bulk aromatics so far and I like it a lot.
    There's something about the 'freshness' that I associate bulk tobacco with. I know it's pure imagination but reminds me of freshly purchased fruit or veggies at a local grocery or food market , instead of using canned ones, hehe.
    So, where to go next with my bulk orders?
    I know there are classic bulk blends such as Lane 1Q.
    I read some great reviews on Pipe and cigars Butternut Burley and Trout Stream, or Iwan Ries' Gourmet English, or Boswell's Northwoods, ...
    Problem is, you can't buy them all at one pipe tobacco store, as many of these are 'in house' blends.
    Also, how does lane 1Q, compare to OTC blends such as Carter Hall? Is it worth the trouble for a European to acquire 1Q?

Let me know your thoughts

Cheers

5. Thuber88

Thuber88 Active Member

1Q is closer to CBG to me, but less intrusive and a little more actual flavor than CBG.
    I have never tried CH yet,but its on my list
    1Q would be very close to SWRA, I smoked those within a week of each other, and they seemed that way to me.

6. pipealicious

pipealicious Member

Pardon my ignorance Thuber, but what is teh full name of CBG and SWRA?

7. Thuber88

Thuber88 Active Member

8. daveinlax

daveinlax Member

Sorry my mistake I guess there's/was a B&B in Naperville. :confused:
    http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/bull-amp-bear-in-naperville-closing

A lot of times a shop will use a stock description on "their" bulk mixtures. Sometimes you can google it and find out what you're smoking.

9. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

:eek: ... :beck:

10. Thuber88

Thuber88 Active Member

Hey I haven't gotten to 10,000 others either:)

ruffinogold likes this.
  11. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I hear ya .. but we're talkin CH :ohyh: .. If everyone here at the forum who smokes it sent you a speck ... you'd have a couple ozs ...... Do you have it locally ? [ some places don't , and they're bad places ] If not .. i'll hook you up . You have o try CH, Thuber88 .. I still have the utmost respect for you , but must admit I was a little shakin :)

12. Thuber88

Thuber88 Active Member

Being cash poor at the moment, I just haven't gotten to it yet, I feel vaguely confident that my local Walgreen's or CVS could fill that request. SPBC I will have to look for at them as well, one of them will probably become my daily smoke soon enough, if not SWRA, all due to availability in a pinch, then I can work on larger bulk buys so they can be my daily's perhaps.
    Don;t forget, when I got here all I had was Largo.:rolleyes:
    I figured I would just go to Doug's barn and grab a 55 gal drum of it, if I can just get across that lawn...

13. Thuber88

Thuber88 Active Member

Through the fine FNG/FOG program I am trying a lot of tobacco's I might never try or ever get to try, so I am experimenting and learning as I go.
    So even though I have been off and on pipe smoking for a lot of years, its always been some crappy OTC, and myself doing it all wrong, so I am oozing forward in my knowledge, and experience, with a great bunch of people.:D

14. pipealicious

pipealicious Member

Comon folks, I need some hints on excellent bulk blends.
    I currently have on my list:

- Pipes and Cigars: Butternut Burley; Trout Stream
    - Iwan Ries: Gourmet English
    - Boswells': Northwoods, (I have already sampled their aromatic range)
    - Lane limited: 1Q

what else?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.