Bulk English Blends

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by mrpipster, Aug 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrpipster

mrpipster Active Member

Whats your favorite one and why?
    I ask becuase I am looking for one that is close to Frog Morton regular.

2. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

PS English Oriental Supreme by far . It's not a Lat bomb and the cavendish used in it makes the blend , imo . It has a mild " spicy " thing going on and the Lat is there in a balanced way . It smokes very cool . I would thing a Frog M smoker would like it .
    It's also a bulk only blend so the price is super right

Jussto and upinsmoke like this.
  3. cakeanddottle

cakeanddottle Member

Dan London Blend
    GH Balkan Mixture
    SG Squadron Leader and Commonwealth
    basically the GLPs qualify since there are 8oz tins, so Abingdon and Westminster too

4. Monkey

Monkey Active Member

Lancers Slices. Bulk flake, nicely balanced and the right price.

Penzance if you can find it....

Edit...you know, one day I will read further than the title before I respond. Till then...

5. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

If you like the original Frog Morton you might want to try the McClelland bulk #5110 Dark English.

TheMadMan likes this.
  6. cakeanddottle

cakeanddottle Member

oops me too. Cable tv and the internet have destroyed our attention spans.

jpberg and Monkey like this.
  7. WyoBob

WyoBob Member

I liked the 5110 better than FM on the Bayou which is the only Frog I've smoked. When it comes to "bang for the buck", 5110 wins out.

WyoBob

Ragin Cajun likes this.
  8. LifeOfRiley

LifeOfRiley Member

I've enjoyed McClelland #5125 (Coyote Classic). A knowledgeable B&M guy told me that it wasn't really a bulk version of FM, but it was fairly close. Also, Peter Stokkebye Proper English is a good, straight-ahead, full English.

9. Old Codger

Old Codger Active Member

4Noggins Painter Hills and Peter Stokkebye English Oriental Supreme are both very pleasant and tastier for me than the Frogmorton.

10. SmokeyJoe

SmokeyJoe Active Member

Adding to my PAD list :doh:

11. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

I'll second PS Proper English as one of my favored bulk latakia blends, but I don't think it's much like Frog Morton. Less sweet, and it features oriental leaf other than just the latakia. Very nice, medium bodied, full flavored English blend, though.

I also really enjoy Cornell & Diehl's Star of the East, which while 50% latakia is actually very well balanced, smooth, and easy going

12. BigJ

BigJ Active Member

I agree. Ooh shark week is on. What were you talking about again?

jpberg and Monkey like this.
  13. jeff394

jeff394 Member

+1 on 5110. I find that Northwoods tastes a lot like the original FM as well.

user2725 likes this.
  14. Charles

Charles Member

Shortcut to Mushrooms and PS Proper English. Great blends, great price!

Mington likes this.
  15. upinsmoke

upinsmoke Member

I agree. It is my basic smoke. Resembles Balkan Sobranie, but more mellow, and not expensive at about $26 a pound.

ruffinogold likes this.
  16. sorringowl

sorringowl sorringowlandsons.com

To me, the original Frog Morton has a sort of meat and potatoes quality to it. It's very simple, yet very good (to me). It's not one of those blends you get excited about, as in, you save it for a special occasion. Just a good, all around smoke.
    Frog Morton is one of my staple blends, so, I'll give you my 3 cents worth, fwiw (probably about 3 cents).
    To me, PS English Oriental Supreme, lacks the meatiness, the savory flavor of FM and is more potato-ey. It's a little more complex than FM but the individual flavors don't harmonize as well.
    Shortcut to Mushrooms (another staple blend) is a tad bit sweeter but has a similar quality to FM (but not the same taste.
    Blue Mountain has that same quality but is a bit more complex and subtle than FM.
    Old Dog has that quality too. Very simple but very good.
    Squadron Leader tastes like cow patties to me (or, at least what I think cow patties would taste like). To me, the flavor is waaaay off from FM. But, that's just like, my opinion, man.
    Haven't tried MC 5110, but I will now.

Maybe you should ask someone over at smokingpipes or Just for Him what might be similar, or maybe a bulk version of FM? I really love McClelland Englishes but have yet to try their bulks.

17. sorringowl

sorringowl sorringowlandsons.com

SmokeyJoe and WyoBob like this.
  18. ATXPipe

ATXPipe Member

I received a sample of 5110 from a forum member about a year ago, and it was a lot like the original FM...but just different enough that I didn't wind up ordering any more. The taste is just off, and the burning characteristics aren't the same either...anyway, finished the sample and quite enjoyed it on its own merits, but don't think I'd recommend it as a full-on FM replacement. The search continues.

19. user2725

user2725 Active Member

I think MC 5110 is a bit more stout IMO than FM but is very good, Boswell's Northwoods is pretty close maybe a bit sweeter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.