Bulk Squadron Leader in stock

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by CarlBC, May 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CarlBC

CarlBC Member

At pipesandcigars.com.

2. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

As much as I love the stuff, I can't bring myself to pay 68.45 for a pound.
    OBD.

3. Zfog

Zfog Member

Thanks for the tip!

4. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

I bought some from them recently, but the price did seem high (I've paid less per ounce in tins). I hesitate to say they're gouging us based on limited availability, but I only bought 4 ounces, which will probably keep me going until someone else gets it in. I have a 2-year-old tin in the cellar, but I'd like to get a little more age on it before I bust it out.

Herb

5. akohtz

akohtz Member

Supply and demand baby. Supply and demand.

6. Beale

Beale Active Member

Well I took one look at the $$?? Now I now I am a NEWB? IMHO I can not justify that price? Beale.

7. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

You might be a newb, but you're nobody's fool, Beale. If I wasn't such an SL junkie, I would have passed, too.

Herb

8. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

Yup. Quite frankly I'm not sure why they aren't charging half-again that amount, you know d@%^ well people would pay it. If the owners of SG aren't very very wealthy after the last five to ten years, they're poor businessmen.

9. gunsmoke

gunsmoke Member

I just did the math. That's about $ 13.41 more than I paid for 250gm at smoking pipes.com last month. Can you say gouging

10. Marc

Marc Active Member

and greed...

11. akohtz

akohtz Member

I don't know that greed factors in all *that* much. Honestly. The price increase just did it's job to help right the availability issue ... some of you just decided to not purchase it. That means perhaps it will stay in stock longer than 8 hours as the market finds the people who are willing to purchase at that price.

- Andrew

12. Marc

Marc Active Member

Yeah, now that I have given it some thought perhaps the word greed was inappropriate, thanks for putting that into perspective.:puffy:

13. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

Bam!! Chalk up another one for capitalism and the free market! Take that Obama! (jk ;))
    Seriously, though, I think I'd be OK with paying some more for my occasional four ounces if it meant that it would actually be available when I wanted it.

14. ryan65

ryan65 Member

yah but with the demand and SG's lack of ancient equipment from the 1700s, availability will be the same unless a lot of people stop enjoying pipe smoking lol

15. akohtz

akohtz Member

Availability is a factor of supply, price, and demand. When supply remains low because the manufacturer is incapable of producing a greater supply, that is a variable independent of the demand for the product. If a product is greatly desirable and demand increases, that is a variable independent of the supply of the product.

Price is what creates the balance between supply and demand. Availability problems occur when the price is set wrong. If the price is too high ... there is too much product left available. If the price is too low ... there isn't enough available for everyone.

- Andrew

ryan65 likes this.
  16. BigJ

BigJ Active Member

I have the same prob. I already have 5-6oz, but you can never have too much... Right?

17. ryan65

ryan65 Member

well said andrew

18. Dunlibi

Dunlibi Member

I wanted to hate SL mainly because there is cheaper tobaccos and I am lucky to be able to make my own blend from loose tobacco, (Kentucky Nougat and Latakia).
    Unfortunately I love it.
    I love the spiciness.
    I wish I was rich :).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.