Bulk Tobaccos

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by pottsy, Sep 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pottsy

pottsy Member

Every now and then I read that bulk blend X is brandy Y. How do you all figure that stuff out?

2. Dukeofbluz

Dukeofbluz Member

It taste the same?

Example Frog Morton On the Town, TO ME, taste exactly like McClelland 5110, or if not Exact, close enough to save 1/3 the price or more by buying the 5110.

Duke

3. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

You figure it out by connecting dots in the supply chain. If your tobacconist has 10 jars of tobacco, he got it somewhere. Possibly he makes some of his own blends, but that is rarer and rarer. So when you look behind the desk and see a bunch of big Lane or McClelland's bags, you know what you are faced with. The local vanilla-smelling "Mystic's Montage" or whatever the hell they decide to name it is probably Lane TK6 or whateve the hell their best selling one is.

My closest tobacconist has been so cagey as to moderately rename his McClelland bulks so Coyote Classic is called Coyote Campfire at his store. Pretty clever, huh?

4. Strongirish

Strongirish Member

If can be a pain at times, sometimes you just have to tell on your own after your pallettes get's good enough to tell the difference. Hopefully you will have a tovacconist that will tell you what his blend is. It's all a game we have to play.

5. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

doesn't mclelland produce a blend called coyote campfire?

and at least in our shop and the others that i've spent time in, its usually just the brand name dropped. like, we sell 1-q, french vanilla, and virginia no. 1. if you look at the fine print on the label, you'll realize they're lane 1-q, peter stokkebye french vanilla, and mac baren virginia no. 1. its not that they try to hide it, its just usually if you put the brand name on it newer smokers get pissy. they somehow expect small retail stores to produce their own blends from the hypothetical tobacco farms they own.

we do a few of our own blends, but they're basically just a mix of different bulk blends we get, sometimes with an added topping. thats pretty standard.

6. Njemt527

Njemt527 Member

I'm glad you said something about frog and 5110. I smoke frog ott at least once a day so a bulk version would suit me better. Is it as sweet?

7. Dukeofbluz

Dukeofbluz Member

I really think so, shoot me a PM with your addy and ill send you a sample

Duke

8. Jay

Jay Active Member

What exactly does one "top" with?

J

9. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

depends. could be anything from squished up fruit to booze. we use rum for our stuff, though one (now discontinued) blend was whiskey. a lot of aromatics from the UK (aka lakelands) basically get topped with flower juice dissolved in neutral grain spirits, or in the case of 1792, tonka beans. i'm sure there's weirder stuff out there.

10. Unforgivin

Unforgivin Active Member

I think it's the same thing. I had a sample of Shortcut to mushrooms that I think's pretty close too.

11. Jay

Jay Active Member

Thanks for the info Dub.

J

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.