Bulk vrs OTC

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by kb7get, Jul 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kb7get

kb7get Member

Ok, I am a typical penny pinching old fart. I was taught 40 years ago to buy the cheapest tobacco that you liked to smoke. With the rising prices of tobacco now I notice that buying in 5# bulk seems to be the way to go. What I would like to know is to fill in for my "likes" of CH, SWR and Granger which bulk is close enough to them that you would be hard pressed to tell which is which. I don't want to get suggestion based on ONLY what you like if you have not smoked a lot of both bulk and tubs/pouches OTC's of my liked OTC's. ERR bulk has my interest but can't remember if I ever tried it before so don't know if it would fall into step with CH, SWR and Granger? Please no suggestion on a burly or burly/virginia areo style you like. I already have areo's and straight Virginia bulk I like. I just want a "affordable to me" 5# bulk that I can get to add to my celler. If what I read here is true the people that like the original tubs of ERR say the new bulk offering of it is the same taste there might be a bulk that can do the same for me on the OTC's I know and like...

2. NickWilliams

NickWilliams Member

IMO, if you like those OTC blends best, you should buy them in bulk. The 4noggins website has almost all of the great OTC blends including the three you have listed available to buy by the ounce or the pound.

http://www.4noggins.com/americandrugstoreblends.aspx

3. kb7get

kb7get Member

All they seem to do there is open a tub and send you 2oz. from it. Only $517.00 for 5# of carter hall that way.. lol

4. Scottly

Scottly Member

Milan offers CH by the case of 12 for $344.50 or 6 for $181.00 I dont think a bulk substitute for CH exists.

TheMadMan and cobbsmoker like this.
  5. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

JR Cigars also sells most OTC tobaccos by the tub with a flat rate USPS shipping charge of $5. Check out their tub prices, very reasonable.

6. SouthBound

SouthBound Active Member

That's a legitimate school of thought, and you have lots of company there. If that were the route I were to take, I would look hard at the MacBaren line. JRCigars.com sells 5# bulk of Burley London, Golden Extra, Virginia #1, Scottish Mixture, and Symphony. Price tag: $107.95 + $5.00 shipping. Nowhere around can I buy OTCs for $1.41 an ounce.

I've smoked BLB, GE, and Mixture (over 2lbs on hand). I've also read rave reviews of Symphony. I'm pretty certain you could find something to love in one of those.

The only ones I have on hand right now are Mixture and GE. I'd be glad to shoot you a sample of those two. PM me if you're interested.

cobbsmoker likes this.
  7. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

You would do well to phone Chris Tarler at Cornell & Diehl, and ask his suggestions. Their burleys are terrific, and their bulk prices are less expensive than OTC tobacco, as a rule.
    Take a look a their website, the breadth is intimidating, but talking with Chris will zoom you in to some stuff you will really enjoy, you cheap old bastard:D

Stonewall and SouthBound like this.
  8. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

You "penny pinching old farts" don't know how lucky you are! - when the bulk amounts 'tossed around' in conversation here would cost many of us a weeks wages!;)
    OT

Monkey likes this.
  9. DGErwin11

DGErwin11 Moderator Moderator

Guess we should count our blessings..

Pastor Charlie and jpberg like this.
  10. SouthBound

SouthBound Active Member

Yes we should count our blessings. It'll end one day, I imagine.

11. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

I know Lane sells bulk equivalents (more or less) of the Captain Black line and Altadis claims to have bulk "replacements" for some classic discontinued OTC's, but I've never tried either. I've never seen any bulks that are touted as equivalents for the classics like SWR, CH, Granger, or the like. Seems like those classics are destined to stay OTC's.

Stokkebye, Cornell & Diehl, and MacB offer bulk tobaccos that are distinctly their own, are very good in their own rights, and are priced about the same... hell, even cheaper. MacB is my favorite, and they have many blends that I think are very "codger-friendly." If you like SWR, CH, Granger, or H&H, then I think you'd like MacB's Golden Extra, London Blend, Symphony, or Scottish Mixture. If you like Sail Green or Middleton Walnut, then you might like MacB Plumcake. (An aside: MacB is a family run company, and the guy who created the MacB blends of today found himself stranded in the US during WWII. He worked in American tobacco factories during the war years, and then returned to Denmark and applied what he learned here to Danish tobacco production... the rest is history).

If you like Middleton Carter Hall or Prince Albert, then you might like Stokkebye Natural, Natural Dutch Cavendish, or Aromatic Dutch Slices. If you like Kentucky Club Mild, then you might like Stokkebye Cubed Burley. Cornell & Diehl bulks are also very codger-like, but I can think of nothing that they compare to other then having a very mild and wonderful flavor; their bulk blends like Haunted Bookshop, Bayou Morning, and Virginia Gentleman are just wonderful smokes.

None of these are replacements for those great OTC's, but they have many of the same qualities. The best part is the price: $25 - $35 for a 16 ounce pound, while classic OTC's like SWR, CH, Granger, and H&H are running $20 - $30 for a 14 ounce tub. Do the math, and the bulks are a better deal. However, SWR and CH are SWR and CH - there is nothing else like them. However, there are some very "codger-like/codger-friendly" blends that are very good in their own right. Give 'em a try, I think you'll really like them.

However, these are all Virginia-Burley blends of some sort. Plumcake is a Va-Bur with a smattering of Latakia and a splash of rum. None come in five pound quantities, but they do come in one pound quantities.

12. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

I bought a can of Half and Half 2 months ago...$30, roughly. Its not even a quarter gone, and I smoke it every day...now, its not true bulk, as you would think...but I would say that buying in bulk, when available, is much more cost efficient that the alternative...

13. kb7get

kb7get Member

Thanks everybody. I do like MacB Scottish mixture flake so plan to order just the bulk 5# blend of it someday. Hope it is the same taste as the flake.

14. Darkly

Darkly Active Member

Most 5# bulks are still a weeks wages for me..lol... So I'm limited to half pounds to a pound bi-weekly when I have the funds.. It's slow, but it's getting there.

Stonewall likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.