Burley question

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by jason1977, Jun 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jason1977

jason1977 Active Member

My only 2 experiences with burley have been SWR which I happen to enjoy during the day as a mindless smoke which is enjoyable, nothing really to ponder & nothing more to appreciate other than the opportunity for a smoke. I like it, it's enjoyable, but monotonous & bland. IT IS a classic and I'm not knocking it. It's a great all day smoke. I'm talking about something for the porch. Something that's not 1 dimensional.

The other experience I've had w. burley was Borkum Riff Bourbon. Bite isn't the word. I call that stuff battery acid. Very acidic. Didn't agree at all.

This being said, there have got to be burley blends out there, even if it's nothing BUT burley, is there anything better in the world of burley better than SWR?

Don't get me wrong, I like SWR. I smoke it all day long & go thru a pouch in maybe 7-8 days. I'm wondering if I could be smoking something better as an all day smoke. I guess that's my question & the answer I have a feeling is YES, but where to start?

2. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

Aren't you a fan of C&D/GLPease tobaccos? I hear a lot of positive comments on the C&D burley blends.

jason1977 likes this.
  3. dwaugh

dwaugh Moderator Moderator

I'm the least qualified to answer... But Wessex (I can't remember) and Solani aged burly flake are some of the ones I really like. Not supper cheap though... I like PA and SWR, but some other straight burlys I have issues with.

4. Russ

Russ Member

I am a big fan PA. Its the one burly I will always go back to.

Ted Vig likes this.
  5. Scottly

Scottly Member

SWR is a good one for sure. My favorite happens to be Carter Hall. Lots and lots of burleys to try out there. Some are otc's and some are boutique blends. Some dirt cheap and some $9.00 plus a tin. Some are easy and mellow smoking, some will bite. Some will give a pretty big nicotine hit. Its hard to say what any one person will fall in love with.
    Your probably gonna have to start sampling and see whats puts the big grin on your face :)

Artistik likes this.
  6. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I'm a Burley fan, but not a big OTC lover. Solani Aged Burley Flake, Esoterica Stonehaven, Mac Baren Golden Extra, and Peter Stokkebye Cube Cut are all predominantly Burley and super tastey. These range in flavor from each other, and are worth trying if you enjoy Burleys. All the Hearth and Home Burleys are really good too.

RTOdhner likes this.
  7. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

Granger, Hearth and Home Angler's Dream, Solani ABF, C&D Haunted Bookshop, Orlik Golden Slices, and Stokkebye Cube Cut.

Then there are several offerings from Mac Baren that are really great: Golden Extra, London Blend, Scottish Mixture, Mixture Flake, Navy Flake, and Symphony.

8. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

Wessex Burley, Solani ABF, P&W Nut Brown Burley and Uhle's #00 are dynamite burleys!

Rodfather, Spillproof and Monkey like this.
  9. Jayson H Bucy

Jayson H Bucy Member

Solani Aged Burley Flake is one of my top 5 tobaccos right now. It's too expensive for it to be a daily smoke for me, but well worth it for special occasions like Tuesday.

RTOdhner, BradNTX and SouthBound like this.
  10. FlatbushPaul

FlatbushPaul Cellar is located in an undisclosed bunker

These are as good as it gets. Great flavors and complex enough to make you think and keep you interested. You'll be hooked.

Paul

Mington likes this.
  11. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I have to limit myself to 2 tins per year orbi would burn it all up too quick. I have about a pound, but would like 2 more.

Jayson H Bucy and RTOdhner like this.
  12. WrightwoodJohn

WrightwoodJohn Wrightwood expatriate

I'm working with some Wessex Burley Slice right now, it's solid rich flavor is growing on me. It's just a hassle to have a team of Cal-Tech students rub it out for me. (S**t that didn't sound right, go ahead let me have it)

MacNutz likes this.
  13. Monkeyshine

Monkeyshine Member

4Noggins sells a burley blend with a bit of cigar leaf called Storm Front. It's the only burley blend that I really enjoy.

14. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Since I discovered Uhle's Blend 00 and Perfection Plug, I've found that I don't smoke the rest very often. The 00 in particular seems 10 steps over the rest of the field.

FlatbushPaul and Rodfather like this.
  15. Pschoppy48

Pschoppy48 Member

I would say try MacB. Burley London Blend. Great cut to the toby and smokes slow with a slight chocolate taste.

16. jason1977

jason1977 Active Member

I am, but I smoke Va/Per, Va, English, & Navy Blends. I'm kinda breaking out of my comfort zone of charted waters of experience.

17. jason1977

jason1977 Active Member

ended up getting a 4 oz. bag of burley @ the bacconist. Gonna try mixing 1 ounce of it w. 2 oz. of turkish & a 1/4 oz. of Va no. 1. This will most definitely be a first for me.

18. cakeanddottle

cakeanddottle Member

John Patton Stormfront is like a premium version of an OTC. I think it's the best Burley out there, but it's definitely of the sweetened variety.

C&D Old Joe Krantz, Epiphany, Americana, Walter Franklin and Old College are all top notch Burleys.

19. FlatbushPaul

FlatbushPaul Cellar is located in an undisclosed bunker

Uhle's #00 is head and shoulders above the others for me but Perfection Plug just doesn't get the respect it deserves. PP is a terrific smoke. Maybe not as complex as 00 but a very tasty, full flavored smoke. I love the cocoa undertones.
    JMHO

Paul

20. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

Dang, I laughed at this. A crack team of Cal-Tech students rubbing out your baccy. Can't beat that. :):)

WrightwoodJohn likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.