Burley question

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by jason1977, Jun 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. raf66

raf66 Member

I just bought some Solani ABF but have only tried one bowl thus far. It's rich, with a deep nutty taste and is a beautiful flake presentation. Those are just my initial thoughts as I'm usually more of a Va and Va/Per guy. But dang the ABF was easily the most expensive 50g tin of pipe tobacco I've ever purchased. I'm actually kind of hoping that it DOESN'T turn out to be one of my faves as I'm not sure I could afford to cellar much of it.

Professor and Mington like this.

2. jason1977

jason1977 Active Member

Ended up mixing 2 oz. of Va No. 1, 2 oz. of Turkish, & 1 Oz. of Burley. Virginia-y, nutty, & naturally sweet in the background w. an aftertaste of the sweet va's after the puff. I did good for a first blend attempt!

3. DMWyatt

DMWyatt Member

Burleys are interesting, seem just as diverse as Va's when you dig under the surface. Someone already mentioned it, that C&D does some interesting things with Burley. It is fair to note that C&D Burley seems to be on steroids if you use PA as a benchmark.

4. whitebriar

whitebriar Member

Morley's Best, Haunted Bookshop and Big & Burley--

buy it bulk, smoke some, put most in a jar--six months to a year later begin smoking them in earnest--

5. Pecci

Pecci Active Member

Gosh, I wish I enjoyed Haunted Bookshop. I love all the ingredients listed, but it just doesn't work for me. Maybe I'll just let my tin sit for those 6 months, you speak of.:whis: ... Boy that's a long spell!

6. whitebriar

whitebriar Member

can't speak for C&Ds tins, but their bulk arrives a bit green--a little age does wonders for the stuff--

i always have trouble deciding which of OJK, HB, MB or B&B is my favorite--usually it is the one i'm smoking at the time---however Morley's Best is beginning to assume top spot after a couple of years--

i don't know if Morleysson hit the target in recreating the old OTC Blue Boar, as he was trying to do; but i sure know he created another Classic American blend in Morley's Best--

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.