Burley that bites like a dog.

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Amalgam, Nov 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amalgam

Amalgam Member

Hi there my people,

I bought a tin of McBaren Burley London Blend. I have been trying to smoke it as slow and smooth as possible but it still bites my tongue like hell :hot: . What am I doing wrong? Is it normal for that tobbaco blend? If so, is there any way to make it more friendly?

Thank you

Alfredo

2. woody

woody Admin Admin

Don't pack the bowl tightly. Just fill it loosely and smoke slowly. It may come around but then again it may not.

3. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

What woody said and/or rub it a little and dont pack it tight and see where that goes

4. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

I just tried Bowsell's Premium Burley tonight for the 1st time. 1st time with a Burley I guess.
    It has a 4 star rating on the tobacco review site.
    I tried it in 2 diff. pipes; an estate and a cob.
    The bag smelled great! I think it tasted slightly soapy or peppery.
    I don't hate it, but it sure is not one of my top 10 baccys.
    I will definitely give it more tries soon and maybe in different pipes.
    Maybe I am not a Burley guy.
    (Or Barley as YinYang says. heh)
    Maybe I will try different Burleys in the future too,
    Not rushing out though or putting that in my next TAD list.
    Maybe it was my taste buds tonight. Who knows.
    It did burn nice.

5. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Burley kicks me in the tongue too.

6. ruffinogold

Thats a bummer man . Maybe it's the small amount of cavendish in it or the estate might have a ghost ? I dont like soapy either and I'm suprised to hear they'd put that in a Straight burley . Sorry about your smoke but thanks for the heads up .Next time try the MB Golden Extra ... I promise ... no soap . Toast and nutty like a burley should be

7. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

Thanks Ruffin. I do have other pipes to try it in. So we will see.
    Can't like everything, eh?
    I will put MB Golden Extra on my next TAD list, which, as always, is growing fast!
    (I may need to start scoping out the trading section more too)

8. Smoker99

Smoker99 Active Member

You are experiencing the well known McB bite. They case a lot of their products in honey/molasses which drives up the sugar content and causes bite. I love the aroma and taste of London Blend, but can't smoke it either. Va's are high sugar and tend to bite, Burlies are low sugar and should not bite if uncased. Try some of the C&D burley products, they are one of the very few producers of pure uncased blends.

9. akohtz

akohtz Member

I picked up the bulk Burley at my local shop two weeks ago and I've smoked almost nothing but it since. I've found I really enjoy it. However, I haven't experienced the results you've described. I would describe it as light, toasty, and nutty (pretty much like ruffinogold did). My local shop carries bulk from Lane limited so I imagine it's their Burly Light blend ???

Anyway, I don't know how that compares to the Golden Extra, but people have spoken very highly of that one too. Someday I hope to try that one and compare.

- Andrew

10. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

I'm surprised Jesla hasn't said this already, but before you give up on burleys, try some Prince Albert. This OTC is one of the easiest, most forgiving smokes out there. I've never gotten bit by it, but if you do, then maybe burleys aren't a good mix with your body chemistry.

11. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Member

Boswell's Burley is my favorite burley of all time with Carter Hall running a close second.Boswells is mild enough to smoke all day with enough flavor to satisfy.It doesnt upset my stomach like other burleys.Boswell's Premium Burley is the best.

12. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

McB bites the hell out of me. That may be a bit of a broad statement, but I've never had luck with them. As much as I dislike it as a prominent flavor, other burleys do not bite me. Try some C&D burley and see if you get the same bite. I bet you won't.

13. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

As for burley; I've only smoked the PA. It didn't bite. I also smoked it in a meer lined briar. I am not sure if that helped or not. It was an enjoyable smoke. I wound up buying a tub of it, haven't smoked it since then but can't wait to light up again..

Cheers

14. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

+1 and also consider Carter Hall before you give up on them.

15. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

C&D Haunted Bookshop is in my bowl now......yummo!

Barbary Coast if ya want burley & vanilla. That too is trez beano!

I prefer Burley Flake #2 but Haunted Bookshop is my runner-up.

:velho:
    Ed Puff!
    Cogito ergo puff

16. ruffinogold

I was just thinkin that maybe try SWR or PA first . There's no way they bite . GE dosnt bite me ... but I'm jaded . Yeah , SWR & PA are the safest bets

17. woody

woody Admin Admin

I agree. Plus Carter Hall.

18. Brian

Brian Member

I have an opened tin of Golden Extra in my cellar. I smoke a couple bowls of it before setting it aside in a jar. I wouldn't compare it to PA / CH / SWR as something similar. I like those just fine too, but MB burleys blends are different (to me).

MB is more bite-prone. I agree with the loose packing and slowwwww smoking. I also found it made a difference to smoke it in a larger pipe. The additional tobacco might have helped me recognize the flavors I was looking for (and not used to) -- a little nutty, and a little bitter like dark chocolate (a pleasant choco-bitter taste). It's very mild and subtle flavor. I would guess it is easily confused with some ghosting in a pipe.

I had some decent results with Golden Extra. I haven't tried London yet though.

19. Amalgam

Amalgam Member

Well this makes a lot of sense now. My wife is a Dentist and she says that I am what their science knows as "supertaster". This very common condition makes people more sensitive to flavors, odors, but also more sensitive to heat. There you go :geek: Now, since I do not want to waste my money and the tin is completely full what blend can I make to decrease the biting?

Thank you

20. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

Get a pouch of PA, Amalgam. You can blend it in with the McB stuff and it should calm it down. I add PA to almost all my "kitchen sink" blends and it never fails to improve them. I'd start by blending one bowl with a 4-1 ratio of McB to PA and add more PA until it gets where I want it. Rumor is Walgreen's has pouches of PA which should cost you less than $5. I pay $3 and change for mine, but that varies depending on local taxes. If you can't find PA, you can try CH instead.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.