Burley/VA recommendations

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Saeros99, Feb 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Saeros99

Saeros99 Member

Hello all, I'm new to the forum and pipe smoking. I am in the process of trying a sampler pack of tobaccos, but so far my favorite has been a Burley/VA mixture. I have a tobacconist down the road, but am clueless to which blends I should try. Any recommendations are appreciated! :thankyou:

2. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

Ask the tobacconist? He knows what he has in bulk. If he has tins on the shelf we here might help a little but - whew - there can be a lot of tins on the shelf..

3. ChrisD

ChrisD Member

Orlik Golden Sliced is a good one

4. cellophane

cellophane Member

MacBaren's Virginia Flake is pretty good.

5. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

I'm always hesitant to recommend tobaccos to anyone. A person's taste in tobacco is like their taste in food and women, drink and movies.

I'm going with Moo on this one - check with your tobacconist first, and if you find something you really like, we can go from there. There are hundreds of burley/VA mixtures and they're all at least somewhat different from one another. Anyone else's favorites won't necessarily be yours.

But do let us know which blends from your sampler or future blends from your tobacconist you find worth pursuing further.

6. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Yeah, have to agree to pin down from your tobacconist more about that blend you like. It may be a fifty fifty split blend, but not necessarily. When you factor percentages with other factors like growing regions of said tobaccos, flavorings, age, cut, etc...well, matching another blend without knowing these factors becomes nigh impossible.

Off the top of my head, Stonehaven fits the description of a well liked VA/Bur blend. But man, so many blends have both that it's a crap shoot.

7. Trendsetter

Trendsetter Member

I second Orlik Golden Sliced, and I'm sure countless others will too

8. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

Here are the ones I have and like:

Peterson's University Flake
    Middleton's Carter Hall
    Estorica Stonehaven
    Orlik Golden Sliced
    Erinmore Flake
    John Middleton Sugar Barrel

9. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

MB plumcake and MB Navy Mixture/Flake ... good stuff !

10. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Reiner Long Golden flake

Mac Baren Navy flake

Orlik Golden Sliced

Esoterica Stonehaven

You can always take a Va and a Burley you like and blend them into your own special toby......bottom line when mixing up toby is to mix a bowl's worth as a sample before you just toss it all together.

Enjoy!

:velho:
    Ed Puff!
    Cogito ergo puff

11. yinyang

Is Plumcake a 'go fer broke' recommendation? It isn't my thought of a simple VA/bur. Actually, it comes off like offering a mason jar full of moonshine to replace a sip of sparkling wine.

Course, I'm a nitwit, so maybe it is a good suggestion.

12. Saeros99

Saeros99 Member

Thanks everyone, I'll definitely talk with the tobacconist when I go, but he seems to carry more cigars than pipe toby and don't know if he has any bulk blends or if it's all just tins. (Last time I was there I was just looking at cigars) But the Orlik Golden Sliced and Navy Flake sound pretty popular. Again thanks for all the help and I'm open to further suggestions. :D

13. yinyang

They're popular for more than one reason...they don't cost a mint! So you know, OGS is almost all VA, whereas Navy Flake is more a burley blend. Neither are shabby.

14. Saeros99

Saeros99 Member

I'll write that in my toby notebook :)

15. Trendsetter

Trendsetter Member

Orlik Golden Sliced is definitely a bang for your buck blend. Great stuff. 100g for about eleven $$. Best of Luck

16. Charring Light

Charring Light Member

Most of the B+M stores I frequent let you sample both bulk and tins. It's a great way to find baccy you like before laying out your hard earn money.

17. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

It's true ........................................................ Yer a Nitwit :startle:

18. yinyang

Well, that's one thing everyone can agree with on this thread. Darnit.

19. Brian

Brian Member

I think the best bet is to just start trying stuff. Dive right in and buy small amounts of many different tobaccos.

I am three years into the hobby, and I have yet to buy any large quantities of a single tobacco. I try to buy something new every 2-3 weeks (like a pay day treat). I only smoke once or twice a day, so it lasts a long time.

Now I have about 20 small mason jars with leftovers in my tobacco "cellar." I've probably tried 3 dozen blends or more. It's been great. If I don't like something enough to smoke it all, I put it in a jar for later. Tastes change, no big deal. I learned one more thing about my own personal preferences.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.