1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Burning off stain in the bowl

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by yinyang, Feb 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Getting peeved now...I'm somewhere around ten bowls in on a NOS Kaywoodie I purchased a while back, mostly full bowls of Sugar Barrel. Each one except for the last were gawd awful. The last one was, eh,ok. Good to go, I assumed, and dropped a half flake of OGS in it. Mistake. It was like smoking an over pitched hull board of off of a Spanish Galleon. Positively foul.

I ask those who have been through it...does it really take this bloody long to break in? I bought a new Pete last year that I didn't even notice the dreaded dip stain issue. I just figured this KW would go as smoothly. I know this pipe sat on a shelf for forty five or more years, but surely it isn't a dirt and neglect thing...i think.

Input is most assuredly appreciated. BTW, no need to tell me to toss it into a fire, since Puff already suggested it! (I'll keep that thought, just in case, Ed...)

Thanks.

2. yinyang

Forgot to add...I've broken in new briars beside the Pete...this issue is not like a raw wood break in. To my knowledge, anyway.

3. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Here's my input. Quit yer whining.

Hope this helped.

Your Pal,

JP

4. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

Always good advice from jp.:thumbsu:

I gave up on Petes due to stain-bowl. That taste slap wears me out. The last Pete I bought, a lovely Harp, was just disgusting to smoke. You can put a cottonball in the bowl and add some Everclear, same as the de-stink method. About 10-15 cottonballs later you might have it all leached out. That process is also about as irritating as just smoking it out with some burley, though. I did my Pete that way, managed to get some drips on the shank and screw up the finish... Pfui! I'm just plain done with dipped pipes. Double pfui.

Quit yer whining and man up yez crybaby.

:0laugh:

5. yinyang

Did I say input is appreciated? I meant piss off. My bad, I could see how you two could easily be confused....what with the big words I used and all.

Geez, I thought the crack smokers I used to network with were mean...but you know how family is...

Asses. Y'all are about as helpful around here as I am!

6. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi,

My experience with Kaywoodies is limited to three estates one gifted by Brian (Bri2K) and two bought from Strongirish.

Brian only ever smoked the one he sent me lightly and with OGS in it. One of the estates had been owned by a Condor smoker who allowed a thick cake and a powerful ghost to take up residence ( now exorcised!). All of these pipes are excellent smokers - I have just finished a bowlful of PA in the flame grain Bulldog.

What I did find though and commented on to Brian was that Kaywoodies do seem to have the ability to draw out the maximum Vitamin N from any tobacco and I can taste this. For me this is not a complaint - quite the opposite!

I do wonder if Kaywoodies have a taste all of their own?

It'll be interesting to see if someone with more experience could shed a little light on this one!

Hope your pipe turns out all right,

Gerry

7. Edlj

Edlj Member

Never heard of that problem in the older Kaywoodies. Do you know when this one was made? I have a similar problem with a Brigham. Still getting color on Q-tips from the shank when I clean it. Luckily don't get any bad tastes from it.

8. yinyang

Thanks, Gerry...it's nice to get an insightful answer to my concern. This means 'smart', you 'other' two.

I have another Kaywoodie, but as an estate, I'm reluctant to try to compare them. The used one was a superb smoker as is. This new one? Oy vey.

I haven't noticed a nicotine difference as yet, but my old Kaywoodie gets wimpy, girly tobacco only...AKA Latakia blends. Naturally, I only smoke it on occasion, and then just so other members here don't feel so effiminated by their questionable choices. The things I do out of the goodness of my heart.

Moo...Pilates.

Think that covers it.

9. yinyang

Yeah, it's a Synchro-lok 500...made between '59 and '67. I didn't bother scrubbing the snot out of it, since it was clean...except for the stain, anyways. I may break down and do what Moo suggested. Well, not the stop whining part...that works for me. I have a wife, and kids!, because of it.

10. Mister Moo

I can get my fingers flat on the floor now, stain-crybaby. Almost there. :ass:

11. telltime

telltime Active Member

The responses here had me rolling... then good, sane Gerry reminded us all to be gentleman.

I LOVE the hard time we can give each other freely here!!

Best of luck with the Kaywoodie... when you say it's a new-old stock pipe, how old? Is it one from back when Kaywoodies were good pipes, or a more recent one (say, the 80s) when they were "drugstore" pipes?

I've only ever gotten estate Kaywoodies, so I've not had this problem. I have a few Petes that I've bought new, but other than the first two or three smokes, never had a problem with the taste during the break-in.

Would lightly filing/sanding out the inside of the bowl (remove the top layer of varnish/finish inside the bowl) help?

12. yinyang

Lying on the floor with a broken hip makes your statement less impressive.

13. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Ah , the 500 series .... sorry bout that . I think the 500 and 600 had stain and varnish . Have fun ! Buck up and take it ! John Wayne would have smoked the hell outta it ... even if it killed him . Youre airborne ... you can take it . Hope that helps ... TTFN :eek:hyeah:

14. yinyang

Yeah, if any one deserves to be shat upon here, I guess its me. I don't mind.

That said, I'm glad Gerry popped in as well, because all kidding aside, I still am trying to figure this KW out.

It's an older, unsmoked model...sixties era. Deep reddish stain...the likely cause of my grief. Sanding, or lots of alcohol swabbing may be in its future.

15. yinyang

No. No help at all. Thanks for taking JP and Moo's side, jerk.

Stain and varnish? Bloody Hell.

16. Sweatsack

Sweatsack Member

Yeah go for the alcohol, I would reason that as fast as it takes the stain off the outside of your bowl, it would do a good number on the inside. Or maybe not, since things like that never work when you actually want them to.

17. Mister Moo

Ah. I know of a sweet little 60's vintage Herters nosewarmer that was deep red colored and unsmoked. It ruined a guys taste while he was trying to smoke it; 15 cotton balls a a bunch of Everclear finally got the stain out of it.

If your Kaywoodie is old but looks new, un-gnawed and unsmoked, I think you have a weird thing going on; I never heard of a nasty tasting Kaywoodie before. I'm not a Kaywoodie expert but I read stuff and this sounds new to me. Need us an old Kaywoodie guy like strongirish to weigh in.

Until then I ponder - If it's old and looks well used I wonder if someone refinished it with who-knows-what.

18. yinyang

Moo, go fu...

Oh, a straight answer. Huh?

Seriously, never say never, but I'm going with it's new. It had the original stickers...'$8.95..' and a 'synchro something or other' on the stem, and the pipe came with its display box...including finish blemishes where the pipe attached to the metal hook dealio that they came with then. The bowl interior was uniform and baby butt smooth too.

It is probably just a pervasive finish that refuses to go gentle into that goodnight. For now, I'm thinking an asbestos base.

19. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

Mr Yin-Yang, you have my sympathies sir. I've had both estate and unsmoked NOS Kaywoodies and I've never had the problem you describe. I've got a Drinkless 22 billiard dedicated to lat blends and a Fineline canadian for Presbyterian and the Kaywoodies do them proud.

Since you're already 10 bowls in, maybe try a few more but with either PA or 5 Bros. According to those in the know, there's not many ghosts or aftertastes that can survive 5 Bros.!

One final thought - are you sure that foul taste is from the stain inside the bowl? I'd probably give the stinger a dip in some alcohol and swab out the inside of the shank just to be sure.

20. yinyang

Bri...being lazy, I like your idea for a first try, at least before going gonzo with stain removal. I did give it a light alcohol cleaning when I first got it, but then, like now, it's as clean as a whistle. Still, no one ever said funky taste had to be seen to be real...I may have overlooked something. My eyes are bugging too bad to horse with it now, but somethings gonna give, and soon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.