1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Burning off stain in the bowl

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by yinyang, Feb 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

I'm gonna guess that the bowl is not the problem and the stem tastes like crap. If you give it a polish, what happens?

2. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

I haven't bothered, but...the stem isn't oxidized, if that's where you're going with it. Original factory stickers were on the stem...once removed, only slight oval discolorations were left. Not the usual yellowing. This puppy was new, and unless the oxidation is well hid only inside the stem, I'm still of a mind it's the varnish, stain, hidden bowl application.

3. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

What kind of stain is it again? :yikes: :dunno: :groucho: :whistle:

4. Aureliano

Aureliano Member

Hey Ying I think I might have some insight. I bought a synchro lock on ebay NOS in the box with the funny metal hook and the oval shaped dark patch left under the sticker etc. etc. What I'm saying is that I think i have a peer pipe to yours. I bought the big dublin. I smoked one bowl from it, decided I couldn't stand the funk, sanded it, and I've since run six or seven half or full bowls of PA through it and it's settling in nicely for me. There may still be hope.

5. yinyang

There is always hope...I'm too cheap to give up that too.
    I assumed the barf would burn off by now, but your experience seems to mimic mine...except you didn't wait to fix it. Smart! Thanks for posting, man.

6. Major

Major Member

Extremely interested situation you have Yinyang.....and a most aggrivating one too it seems. I'd be most interested to know how you solve the situation to a success or the ill fate of the pipe itself. Hope it works out to your desired satisfaction though. Keep us posted as to the method used and the outcome(s).

7. yinyang

Depending how I feel, I'll horse with it later. Most likely I'll soak the whole stem in high test for a while. The bowl will get dremeled...the stummel will get bristle cleaners ram rodded through it. Man, if this doesn't work, this puppy's
    getting abandoned.

My thanks for the many responses...except for JP's, whose quick attempt at character assassination did nothing but prove he's quite infantile. And a poopyhead.

8. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Well, I thought for sure the stop whining thing would cure it.

Seriously, my money's going with the stem. I just can't fathom any coating in the bowl being that tough, but I've had enough battles with funky vulcanite to make a believer out of me.

9. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

+1

I found your initial response to be concise, well thought out and perfectly appropriate for the cryba... question. :cheers:

I coulda made five or six pipes in less time than it takes some people to clean one. :0laugh:

10. tsgourley

tsgourley Member

This cleaning method is sure to work:

Take one liter of a strong, grain-based distilled alcohol. Everclear works wonders. Pour a little of that into a bowl. You'll dip your pipe cleaner and shank brush into this bowl to swab out the shank and bowl. Now swab out the insides of the pipe, toss the dirty contents of your bowl, and drink the rest of the Everclear. In about 15 minutes you'll not even notice the smell of the pipe. Repeat as necessary.

11. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

Excellent advice and not just because Mr Gourley so closely resembles Jeremiah Johnson. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.