1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

butz choquin

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by ryan65, Jan 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ryan65

ryan65 Member

Just bought a new butz choquin mayflower and was wondering if anyone has experience with these pipes and if so what do you think of them?

2. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

I've had probably a dozen of them over the years. Overall, they end up in the less than stellar catagory - maybe two were really good pipes. Did you pick it up in person? If you got to inspect it, you probably didn't get a dud, but drilling and fitment were issues in most of mine. Good Luck.

3. ryan65

ryan65 Member

Im smoking it now and it seems fine so far, i did inspect it before buying and the drilling wasnt off center. I guess i will get a better feel for it once its broken in

4. t-bear

t-bear Active Member

BC's are decent mid-range pipes. As stated, their Q/C is a bit iffy. I've owned a few over the years...none in the collection (read "conglomeration") at the moment.

5. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

That's some good info! Thanks, gents! I see BCs on ebay often for reasonable prices. Now I know to give them a pass unless I can see them in the flesh first.

6. ryan65

ryan65 Member

Finished my second bowl of old gowerie in it and seems to be smoking quite well so im happy about the purchase. So just make sure you inspect it before buying as quality has been an issue with other members

7. ryan65

ryan65 Member

update: well after 30 plus smokes in this pipe, it just isn't smoking to the level that I am expecting with pipes in this price range (savi's and petes) and still gurgles towards the end of the bowl and doesn't bring out the flavor of my tobacco as it should with a nicely formed cake. so I'm putting it back in the box were it shall sit and collect dust until I figure out what to do with it. :thdn:

8. SmokeyJoe

SmokeyJoe Active Member

That's too bad, I have several B/Cs and they all smoke just fine. The one in regular rotation is 35 years old, so perhaps the newer ones aren't made to the older standards.

9. Marc

Marc Active Member

In years past I have owned a few and always thought them to be a mediocre pipe, sorry!:(

10. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Good info to know for future pruchases.

11. Icepick

Icepick Member

Same here. Love my French pipes.
    I think that with many pipe brands smokers buy the low end/cheaper pipe a brand offers and then judge the maker overall based on the experience with the lower grade pipe. Not saying that's unfair or even the case here, just something I've noticed over the years.

12. Alejo

Alejo Member

I probably have a dozen, there are all qualities and prices. There are B / Cs extremely good with straight grain, I have a billiard spectacular.
    Also I have a bulldog with a giant piece of putty.

13. len smetona

len smetona Member

I have perhaps half a doxen BCs, overall, I like then a lot. My first introduction was buying a lot of 3 pipes off ebay. A Calabach, a freehand, and a un-smoked egg. These were my first "fancy" shapes. I liked them enough to put Butz on my standard search list, and since then have bought a few more, most notable to me is a billiard style which is one of my best smoking pipes.

I can't find my gallery on the new site, when I figure out how to find it, I'll link some pics.

I love smoke "dessert" aromatic tobacco in the Calbash and big freehand, kind of a holiay smoke.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.