1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Buying my last pipe for a while

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Bryan71, Jul 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bryan71

Bryan71 Member

Buying my last pipe at weekend for a while.
    Don't know which out of these 3.
    1.Peterson Straight House with silver cap
    2.Dunhill Cumberland 4103
    3.Dunhill Ruby Bark 5109 with silver band
    I have a few of the xlarge house pipes they do smoke great

2. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Surrrrrrrrrrrrreeee .... we've all said that at one time . " For a while " :xd: Good Luck

3. Bryan71

Bryan71 Member

Well that's what i have said to the Mrs

4. Whalehead King

Whalehead King Active Member

I think it is admirable to stop for awhile and dedicate yourself to coaxing what is best from the pipes you have. Magpies collect shiny objects willy-nilly for which they have no use. Men master their craft (or their smoking) from the tools they have available. The next big thing may be around the corner, but there is something to be said for knowing how to use what you've already got.

Cheers,
    WK

5. SmokeyJoe

SmokeyJoe Active Member

I guess I'm more of Magpie......oooh, look, shiny pipe!!!:beck:

6. jason1977

jason1977 Active Member

I've had the same pipes for about 8 years, my most recent being a chacom "mozart" I purchased 2 years ago, simply because I only owned 3 pipes. I now own 6, but only if you include my 2 corn cobs. I've not gone crazy buying pipes, but rather tobaccos sampling different flavors. My carbon cakes are building nicely in my briars & the meer is aging nicely. I AM however on the market for a LARGE pipe. I have the "conventional sized" ones. Bjarne, Parker, Chacom, CAO meer, & 2 corn cobs. I am looking for I guess what people call a sitter? I want LARGE tobacco chamber capacity. I call em big honkin' pipes, but whatever, LOL! SO, I find every 2 to 3 years since I've started, I've bought a pipe. Been pipe smoking 8 years. SO, I'd venture to say I don't have any acquisition disorders, lol. Can anyone recommend a bent BIG CHAMBERED pipe? Not to steal the thunder from the thread, whereas, THIS will be my last pipe for a few years until I want to have a different experience & figure out how to achieve it. Looked at a few bent barrels THOSE look kinda kewl on the conventional sized end, so that COULD be a 2nd pipe purchase for recent times, but I'm after a biggun, lol.

7. chambers11283

chambers11283 Member

I have said this is my last pipe for a long while so many times than this evil little pipe stairs me down on the web and takes me under lol, happens to the best of us. Now on to jason1977 you want a good LARGE pipe, go on Ebay and do a search for Mario Grandi pipes, he always has a few honkin pipes for sale and he usually always has one for a good price.
    http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/z378/chambers11283/pipe003-1.jpg
    Got this Honkin' pipe for 115. usd.

8. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

:haha:

Just don't go to any pipe shows, b&m's, e-tailers (who stock pipes), and you should be fine. Enjoy what you have and renew or make better relationships you already have. Go forward. Best of luck to you though. Everytime I say "this it is, this is my last, I'm set, don't need anymore burners", then next thing ya know, there she is, across the room lookin' at me! It happens. If it does, cool. If not, ya ain't lost a thing!

Ed
    Puff

let us know your success......... I haven't had any luck in abstinence ;)

9. jason1977

jason1977 Active Member

yeah, I have great relationships with my pipes actually. I've figured out which tobaccos go best with each pipe, for example: something that runs out of gas during a long smoke is better suited in a smaller bowl. Won't run out of gas on ya. Other cool burning tobaccos that consitently burn to a fine ash can go in a larger bowl & wont run out of gas on you. These things I wouldn't have learned over the course of 8 years if I had a compulsory acquisition disorder, lol! This being said, now that I have some sense of what works and what doesn't & have desired for about a year, a pipe that I can smoke for about an hour & a half with a huge chamber & don't care how obnoxious the pipe looks because I love smoking my pipe so much, nothing else matters, LOL!~ then I suppose I am due for a new pipe or 2. I want them to be HUGE on the chamber though. Something for sitting outside in the courtyard in a lawn chair near the fire pit w. a glass of 12 yr. old Jamaican rum & a few ice cubes. If someone comments & says, "geez, that's a huge pipe" I wont get self conscious, to the contrary, I'll say, "I'm a man, dang it, my pipe can be as big as I want it to be!" LOL! Some people get self conscious, mostly younger people & people my age (30-something) & mostly I get the old man or grandpa comments & you know what I tell them? "Just call me papa bear for now." How ya climb in the social totem pole! LOL! Anyway, yeah. I'll begin with enjoying a 90 minute smoke w. my favorite rum or sweet tea infused vodka =)

10. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

Go for the Pete!

I've built up a good collection of pipes, and have about 25 or so between the briars, meers, and cobs. I've shifted my focus to tobies here of late, and have started cellaring. If I buy any more pipes they're going to be cobs or briars that I think would make good flake pipes (bent Ppples, Princes, bent Bull Dogs, Rhodesians, or Pots), since my toby preference is mostly flake these days.

11. YOJiMBO20

YOJiMBO20 Member

Jason, if you want something big and bent then you should talk to Sas. He likes to make big, bent pipes.

12. jason1977

jason1977 Active Member

kewl, thanx, I'll look for him

13. Smoker99

Smoker99 Active Member

My choice would be #3.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.