C&D Burley Flake #2

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by BradNTX, May 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

You might want to check w/the manufacturer... I think they may be a bit defective. :xd:

I know, I know, my wife says it all the time; I crack myself up. Someone has to. :bing:

2. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

As for what I've tried, I recently got a good sample of Boswell Premium Burley, which I liked a lot at first, as well as an ounce of some bulk Burley blend from my B&M, which wasn't anything special. The other day I put some of the Boswell in a brand new cob, and the combination of the tobacco and corn was, well, a little too old-timey for me. It reminded me of the more codgerly of the House Of Windsor blends I tried years ago, maybe Briggs or Model or something. The overall flavor just didn't agree with me.

I'd like to think there's something more special about the higher end Burleys. I appreciate that Burley is milder in flavor than Virginia or anything else, and sometimes that's a good change as most everything I smoke is pretty bold (I've got Ten Russians going as I write this). I don't much care for sweet flavors like anise or cherry or vanilla in my tobacco (I think Boswell uses some vanilla Cavendish in the Premium Burley; it's pretty sparse, but sometimes even that is cloying to me), so apart from my experiment with HOW, I tend to avoid OTC's. Conversely, if it just tastes like a Camel, I've already got that covered, unfortunately, and I wouldn't want to smoke that for more than five minutes.

It sounds strange, but my best experiences with Burley were with Union Leader, which was pretty straightforward but flavorful, and Lucky Strikes (it's toasted!) for the same reason. So often it seems like the stuff is just a vehicle for the casing, or is just bland.

3. Rewster66

Rewster66 Active Member

And brain cells. :)

God Bless!!! Ray

4. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Halloa, halloa! I spend one lousy weekend at the methadone clinic, and it becomes a free for all on myself and my mother 'round here! For shame. Heck, and it starts over burley, of all things...(It's ok, mom, you can crawl back under your rock...I've got this...)

FWIW, burley is meh. No need to discuss it ad nauseum, or drag my poor mother into it. Case closed.

Excuse me now, I have a bowl of Five Bros. that demands my attention. :)

5. Marc

Marc Active Member

:rofl:

6. Rewster66

Rewster66 Active Member

Hilarious!!!

:yy: is the man!

7. BradNTX

Who else can we bait for an opinion? :rolleyes:

8. Rewster66

Rewster66 Active Member

I now have emotional scars that will never heal!:(

9. BradNTX

A little quiet time with some Solani Aged Burley Flake, folded & stuffed into a cob, and topped with Carter Hall should help you reflect on your issues and begin the healing process.

If that doesen't work, you can always try cognitive reflex therapy; otherwise known as :bangin: :dh1:

10. Rewster66

Rewster66 Active Member

Brad; Do I owe you anything for the psychological evaluation? My wife was more than glad to help out with the cognitive reflex therapy that you suggested. However I am afraid that I might be allergic to the Solani Aged Burley Flake that you prescribed. If there is possibly some other VaPer or English blend that you think might help feel free to send it to me to help with my healing process.:rolleyes:
    God Bless!!! Ray

11. BradNTX

4noggins Bald Headed Teacher
    Just for Him Shortcut to Mushrooms
    Dan's Hamborger Veermaster

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.