C&D Opening Night

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Puff The Magic, Jul 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Took a gamble and scored a 1/2 lb can. Never tried it but was willing and wanting so that settled it! Jumped in with both feet!

Nice tin and the artwork of the C&D "Simply Elegant" line of toby have become modern day classics of yesteryears enjoyment and good times.

Enough of the can dammut!

Cracking the tin open, the smell was fresh and clean, sweet haylike. No heinz 57 ketchup/vinegar odor whatsoever (which told me this was ready to smoke right now!). The toby was a nice reddish brown sort of as if SG FVF and SG BB got together and spawned "opening night" in appearance (a bit redder than brown). Loose flakes stacked in the traditional C&D 2 oz "cups" X 4! Four of them gems stacked! Nice presentation and packaging (w/one single itty bitty gripe which I'll get to later). I can tell C&D take pride in their product. Each 2 oz batch of flakes all nestled in their own little cup and stacked 4 high in the can. WOW! I'm stil impressed as I write this.

On to the part that matters.... grabbed ~ the equivalent of a slice and a quarter and rolled & folded into 1/3rds and stuffed it right into a MM Pride (stock stem) and fired away! A little difficult getting it going (but remember, this was right from the tin and no real dry time). Once the charring light was "satisfied" the "burn to the bottom" light revealed a mellow sweetness with just a wee bit of tang (not much tang, just sweetness) but a different sort of sweet in comparison to FVF, more refined? more civil and polite? as opposed to "in your face sweet, and you're gonna like it!" type I get from FVF. Sorry to make comparisons to SG blends but I consider Opening Night to be in the same class as FVF but with a mellow, mild, and sweet sort of difference. The flavors came to me right from the start and just got noticably stronger but in a very gradual way. Maybe the smoothness came from how it was loaded into the bowl but I liked it and will have to try it rubbed out and bombed as well. I know I'm gonna like it anyway I prep it. The flavour crescendos as it progresses to the bottom of the bowl. No sourness in the finish, just more of that mild sweetness but only stronger. No surprises. The smoke, thick if you want it and it was real good and tasty (especially snorked) but I tend to keep things at the "almost out" phase and enjoy "hovering" the bowl nice and slowly, not pushing anything.....this gives me the most flavour and enjoyable smoke. Once finished, Opening Night yielded a fine gray ash, hardly any dottle, just a totally pleasurable smoke. Nice aftertaste afterwards. Sweet memories of the smoke & memory. Throat got a "tad" dry on occasion but cleared up with a sip of H2O. No complaints. The ONLY complaint I have at all and I'm sure it's probably true with all of C&D's toby, the liner cups leave small 2-3mm long "hairlike" pieces of paper from the cuts made into the paper liner onto the tobacco. No knock to the toby whatsoever! I ran into this same situation with McCL Burley Flake #2. Same paper "hairlike" pieces but more was noticed in the Opening Night toby. No problem, I just got out my tweezers and picked out what I saw (don't need to smoke paper along with my prized toby)

I want you all to know, this is my first review (from tin to bowl bottom) of any toby I've ever smoked. Or leastwise, put down in print. Gotta say Opening Night left that much of an impression on me to make me want to write it.

I'm not saying that it's an SG replacement but for all of you who are "out" of FVF, this one is worthy of giving a try. I'm hooked on VA's & Va-Pers with cameo appearances of Va-Orientals in my bowls. Opening Night will be a toby that I will purchase again and make more room in my stash of great smokes. Kudos to C&D for this one.

:whistle:
    Ed Puff!

2. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

Great write-up, Ed.

I have a tin in the cellar that I have been trying not to open.... THANXS, you bastard.... Just what I needed, another open tin. :whistle:

3. Rugbysh9

Rugbysh9 Active Member

Great review Puff! :whistle: Even happier that I have a few tins of this stashed away.

4. Puff The Magic

Don't know what to say..........sealed she'll keep and age beautifully I'd bet big on it. But it's wonderful now! Just don't kick her out of bed errruhh your cellar until you're done with her :xd:

:velho:
    Ed Puff!

5. FlatbushPaul

FlatbushPaul Cellar is located in an undisclosed bunker

Great review! I now need to try some. This can be addictive can't it lol!

Paul

6. Puff The Magic

Update: Rubbed out and rubbed and rolled up into a cannonball (both wayz, yep, I smoked two bowls this a.m.! :) ) smoked the same but not quite as flavorful as just left alone as broken flakes.........just a shorter smoke and easier to get going. Again, not sourness at anytime and NO bite either. I will get more of this C&D VA. :dunno:

:velho:
    Ed Puff!

P.S. For any of you who have a tin or two, it's worth opening but as stated, I'm sure it will age beautifully.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.