C&D Opening Night

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by DMWyatt, Mar 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DMWyatt

DMWyatt Member

I'm curious to think what people think of Opening Night. I'm sitting here now smoking my first bowl of it. I used the fold and stuff method to fill a 3/4 bent billiard, and I'm sitting here enjoying it quite a lot. It seems to be very difficult to light straight out of the tin. This could just be a quality of flakes that I'm not used to, being that this is my first flake. It also happens to be my first virginia blend as well. It's actually quite sweet and mellow, and the room not matches. It should be fun to see how this tobacco progresses as I make my way through the tin.

2. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

It's one of my favorites. Very rich tasting straight VA with good body and a good-but-not-overpowering amount of sweetness. Love those red VA's!

3. DMWyatt

DMWyatt Member

It's showing a lot of promise, although it's a bit on the wet side. I think I'll rub out and dry the next bowl to see how it changes. LOL I meant to say room note instead of not in my first post. Maybe my spelling will improve as well! I'm liking the flavor a lot, I'm just getting a bit too much steam with this first bowl.

4. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

I like it and it's very good however I prefer a little Izmir leaf. Sunday Picnic and Star of the East make fine bookends to Opening night and have a little Izmir in them.

Great choice D.

5. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

I know of few straight virginias in flake form (or kinda-sorta flake form) that come at perfect smoking moisture in the tin. Most need to be dried out. This is one you'll want to experiment with a bit to find out its optimal moisture content for you. Some flakes I smoke drier than others, as their characteristics tend to evolve a bit... and this all depends solely on the smoker, although for me, C&D blends tend to need less drying out than, say, McClellands.

6. GlassSculptor

GlassSculptor Active Member

Flake Rubbing

Here's another way to prepare it. It's more of a fill rather than a stuff method.

:puffy:

7. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

I was recommended some by a fellow SG FVF lover and I like it a lot also. Good stuff.

8. DMWyatt

DMWyatt Member

I rubbed some out and smoked a bowl in a different pipe this afternoon, and I like this blend a lot! About a half hour after that I smoked a bowl of Westminster for the first time, which I also got in this order, and I'm a bit surprised in that I believe Opening Night offers a much more deep and flavorful smoke. This is going to become one of my favorites, and the room note is barely noticeable in a house full of smokers, so that's a plus as well!

9. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

It is pretty good. I have worked my way thru a tin over the last two weeks and I tend to go back to it quite a bit. I like it and it is one I'll keep around.

10. DMWyatt

DMWyatt Member

I folded and stuffed a few flakes into a MM Missouri Pride as I let my briar rest... and gentlemen this tobacco sings in a cob! I'm going to be a little sad as I leave the tin alone for a few days to give Westminster a fair shake, but this is one I would recommend to anyone for a first flake or a simple treat in your monthly TAD treatment! The nicotine is up right about where it should be, but not overpowering. The sweetness is there but not cloying, and it's not at all bitey even though I'm a furious puffer when I'm not paying attention. I set out in this order to sample an English, and threw in a VA on a whim. I now see a lot more VA/VAPer in my future. I think I may even throw in a bit of this and PA into the Westminster to see if I can amp it up a bit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.