C&D Safe Harbor Flake

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Kiowapipe, Jun 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

Anybody have any experience? I ordered a bunch of stuff today and put a tin of this on my list. Went browsing TR after the fact and noticed that this has gotten panned pretty hard. I was hoping someone could give me some words of encouragement :)
    I'll let you guys know what I think after I try it.

2. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

LOL, TR doesn't make it sound very good, but you never know. Maybe you will like it? Give us a report after you've had a bowl. I'm curios now.

3. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

Hope so. I might air it out a little before the first try. It's a burley flake so I doubt aging will change it. I'll probably like it, and if I don't, I'm sure I could make good use of it as a blender. Or if it's truly intolerable I'll give it to one of you guys :)

4. BradNTX

I really didn't like McClelland Blackwoods Flake after buying a 100g tin. No drying, preparation changes, bowl sizes, pipes, etc made a difference. It was just too ketchupy. I rubbed it out and added some E Carolina Virginia, some white Burley, and a dash of Perique and now it's a decent smoke.

5. Smoker99

Smoker99 Active Member

If you really like burley, you probably will like it. I have been smoking it for about a year. It is typical C&D burley, ie, on the stronger higher nic side and a bit bitter, all of which I like. The blender, Bob Runowski, says it was actually the precursor to the Burley Flakes of C&D, and it has no flavoring/topping added.

6. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Personally, I like MacB Golden Extra
    way more! YMMV. Never did finish
    that tin of SHF. Still collecting dust
    in the cellar.

dp

7. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

Got the tin yesterday. Cracked it open already. Haven't loaded a bowl yet, but as for the tin note, all I can say is LOL. It just about crossed my eyes- holy acetone, Batman! Going by the aroma, my wife could use the flakes as substitute nail polish remover. Underneath the acetone is something strange- like ripe pears mixed with distilled vinegar.
    I think I'll let this one sit for a couple days before giving it a try. Don't worry, the funk hasn't discouraged me- sometimes stinky is good.

8. BradNTX

I found the same with BF #2. I pull a flake out of the tin and let is sit on a piece of paper for 30-45 minutes before folding & stuffing it. I think my first flake I got impatient & let it sit for 15 minutes. It was a little hot smoking and harsh tasting; not unsmokable, but could have been better. Going to 30 minutes or more really made it a nice smoke.

The other thing I noticed about the C&D vs the other Burleys I like, is the nicotene hit. Whew, it makes my head spin. I have to smoke 1/2 a bowl and wait til the room stops spinning. Pick it back up in 20 minutes or so and finish it off. I like BF #2, but not sure I will get more because of the nic content.

9. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

Tried my first bowl of Safe Harbor Flake. Woof!
    I haven't made up my mind yet, but I think I like it. It's raw, strong burley. The nicotine is definitely for real, right up there with some of the hardest hitters I've tried. This is splash water on your face, take your shirt off and sit in the bathroom kind of strong. Flavor-wise I need a few more bowls to figure it out- I was too busy dealing with the nicotine manhandling to really focus on the flavor. What I picked up is straight burley, like right out of the barn straight. Forget Prince Albert, this is burley with the hair left on. I got a hint of pear again I think. A mostly pleasant sweet-sour-bitter sort of character.
    I usually feel like I can get a pretty good rough idea of a new blend from the first bowl, but this one and C&D's Bayou Morning Flake are both going to take a couple of tries. I think that's a good sign. I'm looking forward to the next bowl already- I'm going to wait for the right time, though.

Beale likes this.
  10. BradNTX

Interesting! Thanks for the review.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.