1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Caking

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by DGErwin11, Jul 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DGErwin11

DGErwin11 Moderator Moderator

I have 2 questions about caking.
    1) I recall reading somewhere once you finish a bowl, don't dump the ash. After it has quit burning, cover the bowl with your thumb, turn upside down and shake to cover entire bowl with ash and let it stay there, then dump ash. It is supposed to help formation of cake. Opinions? Also at the end of the day when I clean the 2 pipes, I fold a pipe cleaner over my finger to form a U and then use that to clean the sides of the bowl of any loose material. Good, bad or indifferent? These pipes will rest 5-6 days before being smoked again.

2) I notice that some bowls have slightly thicker cake on the top half of bowl. Should I ream it back to uniform thickness, or just smoke half bowls until it evens out?

2. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

1. all is ok.

2. smoke 1/3rd or 1/2 bowls until the bottom catches up with the upper cake-matter. :D

You're "on track". Good thinkin'!

Ed
    Puff

3. DGErwin11

Thanks. BTW does question and answer #1 also hold true for cobs. I have definitely joined the pro cake on cobs school.

4. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

I don't think most guys keep much or any cake in cobs....

5. Strongirish

Strongirish Member

The shake it up method most likely helps a little in forming cake but smoking the tobacco is what really forms a cake. I am pro cake in my cobs, for any pipe for that matter as it cools the smoke. Do what you like and not what the majority does. I never put anything but tobacco in my bowl, by rubbing it out with a pipe cleaner you are slowing down the forming of the cake. You do want the bottom to catch up to the top cake wise and smoking half bowls will help in this. 42 years of piping has taught me a few things. Rule number one is I do what works for me and if you are enjoying your pipe, then you are doing it the right way.

6. akohtz

akohtz Member

I wad up a paper towel or napkin and twist it through the bowl of my cob and meerschaum after I'm done smoking. It prevents cake from forming and cleans up the bowl nicer than a pipe cleaner can.

- Andrew

7. shadow

shadow Active Member

Hi all!
    I always leave the ash in the bowl for a while once I've finished smoking. Not so much as to help form a layer of cake but mainly for the ash to absorb any moisture.

8. DGErwin11

Well, there are 2 schools of thought (at least) on this issue. I am in the cake camp.

9. DGErwin11

Good point, I hadn't thought of that.

10. DGErwin11

StrongIrish, I don't so much as rub it out as lightly brush to remove loose tobacco that might stick to the sides or bottom of bowl. By no means do I apply enough pressure as to remove hard cake. But only at end of day before "putting them to bed", where they will rest for a few days before getting smoked again.

11. YOJiMBO20

YOJiMBO20 Member

I usually shake the ash a bit, then cover the bowl with two fingers and blow through. Gets the gunk out of the shank, and adds moisture to the ash to help it stick a bit more. Repeat a few times or until there's no ash left.

12. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

I believe there is no "Definitive" regarding cobs. It's mainly "piper's preference". No cake to full o'cake and all points between, it's your choice. The only place I feel a cake IS needed is if you smoke to the bottom of the bowl. Whether you have a soft-tail or a hard-tail cob, if you smoke to the bottom, I strongly recommend a bottom cake. Besides, if you let the bottom cake, it'll form a nice rounded bowl bottom without you asking it to do that, just smoke her! She'll show you a nice bottom eventually! :D

Ed
    Puff

13. akohtz

akohtz Member

Ed,

Good points as always.

Now that you have me looking at it ... I do have some cake at the bottom of my cob bowl. I've always left that alone down there cause it seems to smooth things out nicely. The napkin wipe method doesn't get everythng out at the bottom anyways. In fact it seems to make sure it's all evenly 'shoved' into those crevices. Yeah ... even if you are a no cake in the cob kinda guy ... dont pick at the stuff left in the bottom.

-Andrew

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.