1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Calabash...my first Meer: Break in?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Splat, Apr 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Splat

Splat Member

I now have my first meer pipe. A big beautiful gourd Calabash from the 60's with supposedly block Meer insert and get this: never been smoked. Before I screw this beauty up I figured I'll consult with my brothers here on what, if any, things should be done to break it in. Should I wax it first, load her up and smoke her, or....?

2. t-bear

t-bear Active Member

Just wipe the bowl out with a damp paper towel, let dry and fire her up. The wax should still be intact, as it hasn't been smoked.

Of course, without photos, this isn't gonna be believed by the cretins here....LOL

Thuber88, Skrymr and Lucky Duck like this.
  3. Splat

Splat Member

Thanks T-bear! I couldn't wait. I just had to do it. I had to have my first bowl in a meer and what did I have? I just happened to've had the best bowl of Orlick's Golden Sliced Red I've ever had! Wow. Taste x 1000! The first 15-20 puffs weren't doing much and it was only the first few that I got the "asprin" taste I've read about, but after that it was smoooooth puffing. Just beautiful. The weird thing is I really like ORSR but it's not among my top 5 right now. I can't wait to try some H&H Anni Kake or my local B&M Smoker's Haven "Ave's Fave" which is one of my fave's. How long between bowls should one wait with a meer? :) I feel the White Goddess calling me back already. :nwor:

Skrymr and Old Codger like this.
  4. craig

craig Active Member

From what i have heard on here meers dont need rest so just smoke to hearts content but dont quote me on thia let some of the meer experts have their say

5. Splat

Splat Member

I'm gonna have to wait a while for another communion with the White Goddess. The nicotine or maybe overall taste is hitting me pretty hard for some reason. I usually don't get knocked out but I gotta admit it's hitting me now. :drly:

6. Old Codger

Old Codger Active Member

As long as it's staying dry, smoke it as often as you want. I have one meerschaum that I've emptied out, still warm, loaded up, and smoked again. No issues.

rondel65 and Skrymr like this.
  7. rondel65

rondel65 Misplaces Lighters

Man I've been there. I get a little too happy with my puffing at times. It's like drinking those sweet drinks that taste like they don't have much alcohol in them till you stand up. You don't hear the air raid sirens till the nic bomb gets dropped on you.

Splat likes this.
  8. phinz

phinz Active Member

9. Splat

Splat Member

It shall come to pass ASA I get batts for my camera. My brother has a knack of borrowing things and I get them back either with dead batts, no gas, or empty whatever. :)

gentimmy and Old Codger like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.