• This forum is for DIY Repair, Maintenance & Restoration. It is for people seeking advice on maintaining their own pipes. It is not for showing off commercial work done by yourself or anyone else.

Caminetto needs a new stem

Status
Not open for further replies.

SouthBound

Curmudgeon At-Large
I've got a question for you experts. Recently, I purchased a Caminetto off of eBay. It was obvious that the stem was a replacement. The bowl has the spigot shank, and the stem was not a spigot. Nor did it have the mustache. However, my bid was low enough for comfort, and I liked the way the pipe looked. Well, the pipe arrived today, and it is spectacular. I love the size and shape. However, the replacement stem is atrocious in person and poorly fitted to the pipe. Before I just send it off to Norwood for a new stem, I thought I would seek some advice from PSF.

Do any of you know if I can find a replacement Caminetto spigot stem? If not, is there any other advice you can give? I'm keeping the pipe and smoking the crap out of it either way, but I would love for it to look as close to original as possible.

Take 15% off Cigar Gifts! Use Promo Code: GIFT15 at cart

SouthBound

Curmudgeon At-Large
To answer my own question....

After a little back and forth with Tim West, I found out that he has some silver spigot stems that he uses for repairs. He won't know if any will fit my pipe until I send it to him. So, I'll update this when he finishes with the pipe.

WalkinStick

Your Huckleberry
After reading through both posts, you named both the people I was going to suggest. Hopefully one of Tim's will fit. I'd like to see it when it's finished.

SouthBound

Curmudgeon At-Large
Glad you talked to Tim. He has more stems than a field of wheat.

Or you could contact Caminetto for a replacement. It'll cost more and take longer, but it will be "factory original" and likely a higher quality stem.
Do you know how to contact those guys? I can't get their website to load any page but the main page.

Riff Raff

Norwood made a spigot for one of my Upshalls, but he had the original spigot mount to re-use. (the Cumberland stem he made is wonderful).

SouthBound

Curmudgeon At-Large
Well, I sent this pipe and four others to Tim West about 8 weeks ago. I told him that I was in no hurry, and I'm not. However, I'm beginning to wonder how long to expect this to take. Do any of you guys know what his turnaround time is?

@psquared, I'll post some before and after pics when I get them back.

Spillproof

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Well, I sent this pipe and four others to Tim West about 8 weeks ago. I told him that I was in no hurry, and I'm not. However, I'm beginning to wonder how long to expect this to take. Do any of you guys know what his turnaround time is?

@psquared, I'll post some before and after pics when I get them back.
Last time I sent TW a pipe it was for a tenon replacement. Took a week.

SouthBound

Curmudgeon At-Large
5 or 6 more weeks. It's been 12 so far.

Not complaining, just throwing it out for any of you that wonder about how long it takes. I will say that a little communication would make a wait like this more comfortable.

Status
Not open for further replies.