1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Caminettos Yes? No? Meh?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Morse, Feb 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Morse

Morse Active Member

I am interested in one of these. Anyone have one or have any experience with them?

2. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

The one I like most on smokingpipes is (of course) the most expensive one. Beautiful grain and finish. The two bent billiards don't really wow me. I have a basket pipe that looks very much like that somewhere, though I'm sure the execution of the Caminettos is far better. The two rusticated ones aren't bad, and they seem reasonably priced. The only thing that doesn't thrill me are the 9mm filters. I don't usually like filters anyway, and a 9mm draw seems way too open for me. I hear that you can buy converter tubes for them, though.

EDIT: No personal experience with the brand, though.

3. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

There's a whole family of pipes out of Italy - Caminetto, Ascorti, Radice, Mastro de Paja, and if you follow the history of brand X (pick one) it starts out that someone who works at brand Y quits and starts his own shop, Z, which then gets bought out when he retires by brand W, a partly owned subsidiary of brand Y but distributed by Q. Q's brother in law also works for Z but wants to move in other directions, so he partners up with one of W's financiers and creates brand X which they run successfully until they sell the name.

Practically, what this means is that there are little differences in these pipes - how the stems are cut, for example, but by and large, these Italian "mid grade" pipes are indistinguishable from one another over time, not least of which because any particular carver may have worked for or owned any number of them.

My take on all these pipe is fairly positive. I think they offer pretty good value, usually are made with very good briar, and I'm a fan of the ubiquitous lucite stems. In other words, if you see a Cammy you like, it's probably worth a try, and prices have come down quite a bit on them in the last little while.

4. Morse

Morse Active Member

Yep its the rusticated apple I am looking at....................hmmm

5. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

As Sas says. Sa assy sa ... asys a? Ahem.
    I don't own a Caminetto, but FWIW, I wouldn't be a bit worried about buying that apple if it speaks to you. If you get it and there's some glaring flaw you can always send it back to SP. Probably good wood, a nice chunky sitter, and I do like the finish. The filter thing isn't up my alley but that's just me.

6. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

I actually do quite like the second one, but not for that price. For that kind of money you could about get a Sas.

HCraven likes this.
  7. lostopossum

lostopossum Member

I have a little caminetto bull dog. Its a great little pipe that has always done well by me, in face its one of my favorites. I have it dedicated to mecllands fragrant matured cake. It has never smoked wet or hot, I say go for it!

8. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

I've had a few and enjoyed them. As Bannard referred to, the prices have gotten much better in the last while.

9. Russell Hartman

Russell Hartman Stay Silver

I have an older one that was given to me by my father. It isn't a newer one. He got it back in the 1970's--it is a Golden Mustache Business, and I cherish it greatly. The thing is well balanced, light, and is a wonderful pipe. I do not know how the newer ones are, but they have some VERY attractive pipes. I will tell you this---I am VERY--VERY attracted to Italian pipes. They tend to be some of the best smokers I have. Morse---now you have the gears in my turning---I am gonna dig out my old Caminetto, and smoke it today-------------If that pipe has chosen you, and its calling your name---------GO FOR IT.:thu::bing:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.