1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Can anyone identify this peculiar pipe?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by DanielMelange, Sep 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DanielMelange

DanielMelange Member

I went to an antique/flea market today and looked at their behind the counter stuff, lo and behold a pipe is staring back at me. After careful examination and a bit of haggling I went home with a new estate pipe.

Now, however, I don't know where this pipe came from, and the makers mark is incomplete, so I hope the gurus of PSF could help me out.

On to the photos (ignore the ring, it's just there for stability to take photos):

[​IMG]
    Side view, looking pretty good, rests really comfortably on my chin when in my mouth, though I'm at a loss to what I would call the model.

[​IMG]
    Other side.

[​IMG]
    Now here's where it starts getting weird. The entire pipe is kind of squashed, width-wise.

[​IMG]
    Here's the maker mark. I've been googling a bit but haven't been able to find anything out. It either says "...llest" or "...West" at the first line, and probably "REAL BRIAR" underneath. Is anyone familiar with what it could be?

[​IMG]
    The inside has been smoked, but not enough to build up a cake. It does however smell a bit funky so it will go through a proper cleaning before attempting to smoke.

[​IMG]
    Stem and stummel, separated. The tenon is rather tight, so tips on how to make it easier to insert and remove would also be appreciated. I heard something about using graphite on the tenon to kind of lubricate it.

[​IMG]
    The stem has the regular hole coming out at the bottom, but because of how the pipe is drilled there's also a hole at the top of the tenon that intersects with a hole in the pipe. The stem is also rather oxidized, so I need to figure out how to get rid of that. I seem to remember something about using bleach to seep out the oxidation and then sand and polish to bring the stem back to its former glory.

I'm really looking forward to feeling how it smokes.

Any input on this strange pipe would be greatly appreciated!

2. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

That's a "pocket pipe." I don't know the maker, but it's sweet.

3. Polymoog

Polymoog Member

As spillproof says the pipe is designed to slip into a pocket (the stem should swivel round also) so you can have a crafty smoke whilst out and about.
    When i was a little lad my grandfather had one and would put it back in his pocket whilst still lit!!
    it used to amaze me

4. gentimmy

gentimmy Active Member

+1 on the pocket pipte

I'v only seen the Savinelli's though

5. DanielMelange

DanielMelange Member

Spillproof, yeah, I agree, once I picked it up I couldn't set it down again. I hope it smokes well. Thank you!

Polymoog, haha, that sounds a bit dangerous though, I don't think I will try and burn through my favourite pants :)

gentimmy, found some pictures of the Savinelli pocket pipes, they're indeed very similar, but also dissimilar enough to this one. It could very well be a basket pipe, but the remains of the makers mark makes me think differently. We'll see, maybe someone is sitting on the solution to this question, until then I'm just going to clean up the pipe and give it a test run.

6. Bradabelko4

Bradabelko4 Member

Awesome looking pipe.

As to putting a lit pipe in my pocket, nothing ever has come of it, perhaps some ash in my pocket. I always some pipes before my meetings, and then just stash it.

7. physiognomy

physiognomy Member

Cool little pocket pipe! I have one (Roley by Savinelli) that I picked up when I started buying estate pipes from ebay. It smokes ok, but I never got it broken in before moving on to other pipes. I found that smoke easily got into my eyes, etc with the stem being so short. You have encouraged me to give it another try... Enjoy your new pipe!

[​IMG]

8. dhintonca

dhintonca Member

I have one of those also, and it's stamped "Conway Made in London England". The biggest problem I have to avoid singing my nose when lighting! :xd:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Coastal Bend and dwaugh like this.
  9. DocB

DocB Active Member

Cool little vest pocket pipe. Congrats. As for the oxidation, go get some BarKeepers Friend. and some paper towels. Whole lot less painful than sandpaper and polish. Wet the towel, cake the Friend, and rub a dub dub...

10. Tony Malerich

Tony Malerich Active Member

And mine (courtesy of Nick Williams) is a Brebbia Rolex... but that still doesn't match up to the mystery letters on yours.

11. Coastal Bend

Coastal Bend Get off my lawn...

I had one that looked like this one back in the 60s. It was a fun pipe to have, and handy to carry. Lord only knows where it is now after a divorce and several moves -- plus a few decades of time.

Spillproof and dwaugh like this.
  12. DanielMelange

DanielMelange Member

Thanks everyone for your response!

DocB, can't really get Barkeeper's Friend here in Sweden. Though, I found out that the active ingredient is oxalic acid, and that can be found at most hardware stores around here, so I might be able to mix together my own concoction. Shouldn't be that different from a bleach bath though, only more effective from what I've read. Will still need a bit of sanding and polishing afterwards probably.

It's so great to find out what this pipe is. I might take it for a test smoke tomorrow, it had a run through with salt and whiskey, and the stem was cleaned through properly. Took a mountain of pipe cleaners to get it clean, but they're all coming out clean now and it's not smelling as funky as before, so we'll see what smoking has to bring.

13. DocB

DocB Active Member

Try Comet then, or any dry abrasive powder. Alleviates the need for sanding, because it sands and polishes all at once. :th1:

14. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

I thought it may be a Medico, but from what I've seen it actually looks a lot like a Butz Choquin pocket pipe.

15. DanielMelange

DanielMelange Member

Again, brand name stuff not available in Sweden (as far as I've seen). I might try Autosol, which is basically a lightly abraisive polishing compound often used for metal automotive products.

16. physiognomy

physiognomy Member

That doesn't sound like a product I'd use on something that's going in my mouth... I have had good luck using a 'magic eraser' sponge to remove light oxidization. I don't know if this product is comparable, but you might check the cleaning isle at the grocery store.

http://www.vileda.se/se/products/show/1404?hotspot_id=1004

17. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

Several makers produced 'vest pocket' pipes at one time, I never owned one - but many say that because of the shape, they are not very good smokers, I hope this is not the case with yours.
    OT

18. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

I often use 'Solvol Autosol' on stems - with a small buffing wheel, in a Dremel, does a good job, and as long as you don't leave any on when you are finished, should be o.k. - at least I never suffered any ill effects!
    OT

19. DanielMelange

DanielMelange Member

Thanks Old Ted, yeah, I've used Autosol on many things in the past, both metal and plastic, both for things than go into your mouth and not, and I've never had any ill effects. It's like with any polishing compound, make sure you get rid of it when you're done.

20. Preacher1611

Preacher1611 Active Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.