Can I get a couple flake suggestions?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by cmw00, Oct 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cmw00

cmw00 Member

Was looking to order some MacB Navy Flake then saw Sam Gawith's Navy flake. What's that like?

Also which chocolate flake would you guys recommended? I was looking to try the Gawith & Hogarth's Bob's Chocolate Flake, or Samuel Gawith's Chocolate Flake? Any retrogradations one way or another there?

2. Tsurugi

Tsurugi Member

I've only tried Mac Baren Navy Flake and I really like it, has some honey taste to it.

3. Burner

Burner Member

SG's Navy flake is fantastic. It's virginia latakia wonderful smoky rummy stuff that will turn you to piracy Arr!

4. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

SG Navy Flake has a hint of latakia mixed with a moderate virginia - it is quite nice and a great intro to latakia blends.

5. cmw00

cmw00 Member

For the record I have NO clue what a "retrogradation" is and can't believe I would even type such a word... :roflmao:

Also, I really love FMOTT so would the SG Navy Flake be something I would be able to find flavor in?

6. Pipedan

Pipedan Member

I have a tin of SG Choc flake and I found no choc flavour,
    the only chocolate I can find is the name on the Tin or the colour of the flake.
    A strong Tobacco smell in tin and that lakeland tasting tobacco.
    to me this is not a aromatic if thats what you are seaching.

7. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

CCC, you'd like SG Navy I think if you like FMOTT

Other flakes I dig include Navy Cavendish from McClelland, just sweet rummy yummy, no retrogradatorial protoinclinations.

Cooper, from Low Country (smokingpipes), and naturally the twists from Mac Baren which are not flakes per se, but something even more heavenly.

8. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

MacB NF and SG CF......PDan must have had a cold or something....:dunno:

9. Coffee-Cup

Coffee-Cup Member

I had tried PS Navy Flake and I liked it so much I came on this forum and asked if there were any other Navy Flakes that were as good as PS. Mr. Moo sent me a sample of SG Navy Flake and it blew my mind; it was different but "oh how good it was". Needless to say that I have a pound of both PS Navy Flakes and SG Navy Flakes aging nicely in my mason jars. :cheers:

10. Pipedan

Pipedan Member

sorry it was the other Garwith GH bobs choc flake that had the lakeland taste.:phew:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.