• This forum is for DIY Repair, Maintenance & Restoration. It is for people seeking advice on maintaining their own pipes. It is not for showing off commercial work done by yourself or anyone else.

Can this overturned stem be corrected?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have this meerschaum pipe with a metal screw-in tenon that overturns about 1/2 of a turn.
Is there a way to correct this so that the stem and logo line up with the shank?

Here's the gap when the stem is lined up but a little loose.

Here's when the stem is tight but overturned a little more than 1/2 of a turn and stops.

mecompco

I believe the correct procedure would be to carefully warm the tenon to melt the glue, then turn it. I've used boiling water to do this. Use pliers wrapped with proctective material so as not to mar the tenon.

Arkie

I believe the correct procedure would be to carefully warm the tenon to melt the glue, then turn it. I've used boiling water to do this. Use pliers wrapped with proctective material so as not to mar the tenon.
That's what I would do. If the stem is vulcanite you will need to warm only the metal tenon and avoid getting the stem in the hot water. Otherwise, the stem will turn green. If the hot water doesn't warm the tenon sufficiently you can use a candle flame but be very careful to avoid getting it too hot and melting the stem. Make sure the tenon has cooled completely before twisting it back into the pipe's mortis.

Thanks guys for the suggestions.

I heated the tenon with my heat gun (hot water wasn't working well enough) and took it out of the stem to have a look. It needed to go in deeper into the stem. I chose to take 1-2 mm off the end that fits into the stem rather than try to drill the hole deeper into the stem. After a few tries, I got it just right and then put a drop of superglue where the tenon meets the stem. It worked great.

Here's what I was using as an alternative while trying to figure out how to fix the stem. It's a forever stem that I modified. It's not threaded, but fits tightly and worked very well.

xrundog

I like the original stem. Heat it up and torque in back into position. You can put a soldering iron on that one to heat it up. Even an open flame if you have to.

Status
Not open for further replies.