CAO/Peterson baccy

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by powell0892, Jan 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. powell0892

powell0892 Member

I have been keeping an eye on several types of CAO and Petersons aro's I have not had much luck with aro's in the past (except for Lane 1Q) so has anyone had any Peterson or CAO aro's and enjoyed them? And are the heavily cased?

Thanks guys, as always your great help.

2. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Both those brands have a range of aromatics that drift into barely/lightly topped virginia mixtures to German/Danish style topping-soaked disasters. On the lighter end, topping wise, something like Tjordenskeld or Limerick from Dan/CAO have very gentle toppings of honey and... lilac maybe, respectively. Likewise, Peterson offers Sherlock Holmes with a sort of Bergamot flavor dancing on a fairly interesting Virginia/Burley mix. If you move into Milonga or the Moontrance/cherrybomb tobaccos from cao you'll find a much more danish-style black cavendish containing heavily topped tobacco. Peterson moves in this direction too with Sunset Breeze and Luxury Blend. Connoisseur's Choice is pretty good stuff. It burns hotter than Satan's hooves, though.

I would say try Sunset Breeze from Peterson or Sweet Vanilla Honeydew from Dan/CAO as middle of the road good quality aromatics.

This message brought to you by Mac Baren Club Blend.

3. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Or Blue Note (Dan, and NOT Altadis).

:velho:
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

4. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

Me too. Petersons Sunset Breeze. No goo in the bottom of your bowl. Really nice aroma. Ladies like it.
    Be well.
    Ol Brokedik.

5. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

Big fan of Sunset Breeze - love the amaretto aroma; like Sherlock Holmes a lot and think it's been fairly described earlier and I also love Sweet Killarney. Many reviewers say this last smokes hot and is a tongue biter - I find it a lovely mildish smoke, ideal for indoors and absolutely no problem if smoked slowly.

To me all of these smoke well in cobs or briars but are really nice in a meer when you take time with them.

Best to all

Gerry

6. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

I've heard Old Ironsides is a nice mellow tobacco.

7. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Thank God you're here to keep the newbs from going astray... :0laugh:

Try Bella Vanilla...a VA flake. I personally think it's 'meh', but it's good...for an aro.

8. Trendsetter

Trendsetter Member

Hey, I recomend this Eileen's Dream by CAO in every post like this because it is the ONLY aromatic I still smoke. When I started smoking I didnt have access to any of this information and smoked nothing but aromatics. I never liked any of them but this, and even though I smoke mostly Va/pers and heavier latakia blends (COMMONWEALTH!), this blend: 1) still stays in my constant rotation 2) Has a pipe dedicated to it and only it 3) is listed as my favorite tobacco 4) and has helped me turn two people into pipe smokers. I highly recommend this because it truly tastes like it smells, all the way down to the last puff (Irish Cream and White Chocolate Truffles) without burning too hot or giving too much tongue bite (it isnt goopy at all). Please please try this stuff. It tends to be sold out because it is popular, but its not impossible to find. Happy puffing!

9. pottsy

pottsy Member

Also recommend Sweet Killarney.

10. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I'll second the Sweet Vanilla Honeydew. I like it enough to buy it in bulk now. I've dedicated a briar to it and w/the added ghosting the flavor is really wonderful.

11. powell0892

powell0892 Member

Sounds good guys thanks for the help I have recently tried some sweet vanilla honey dew thanks to ruffin, and brad. Looks like I will check out some sunset breeze and sweet killarney next. I appreciate all the feedback

12. tsgourley

tsgourley Member

I've only tried CAO Bella Vanilla, and it's pretty good. If you like vanilla, you'll like it. It's not overwhelming or goopy. It's a good, solid aromatic. It's not my favorite, but it's smokeable.

13. Trendsetter

Trendsetter Member

CAO-Eileen's Dream

14. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

I find it amusing that if blindly offered two tobaccos, one called "Ole' Wartface" and one called "Summer Wind" there's a group of us who would reach for Summer Wind and a group who would reach unhesitatingly for Ole' Wartface.

Many years ago, I would have been in the former, but am now firmly in the latter. Once the Tolkien-esque tobacco names are all used up, I hope for some '70s rock names - I'd buy "Stinkfoot" or "Aqualung" fo sho.

15. Grim_Puffer

Grim_Puffer Member

Take my 2 cents for what its worth.

I have tried several Peterson blends and all fo them just tasted like hot air to me. I have come to a point of disappointment to where I will probably never buy another tin from them.

Now thats just me, even though I know a few more who agree, and there are some people on here who love Peterson blends.

As for CAO/Dan blends I can not comment on those.

As for what SAS said id smoke some rocksong blends like, smoke on the water ( to which they could release another under: fire in the sky ) and maybe some Wind cryed Mary

16. Spaceboy Tim

Spaceboy Tim Member

I've heard some good things about Milonga by CAO. It's next on the list of aros to try.

17. gandalf7531

gandalf7531 Member

Sunset Breeze is the only aromatic that I've ever enjoyed smoking. I've smoked dozens of aromatic blends, but Sunset Breeze is the best.

18. angrytruckingguy

angrytruckingguy Member

Doesn't every Jethro Tull song sound like a tobacco name: Locomotive Breath, Bungle in the Jungle, Thick as a Brick, Flying Dutchman, Too Old to Rock n Roll.....?

19. pottsy

pottsy Member

Give me some "Freebird"!!!!!

20. ric03

ric03 Member

Been smoking Peterson's Luxury Blend the last week or so (very infrequently, it has to be said). I'm not that taken with it yet TBH. It has a sharp, fruity taste (says orange, honey and a touch of vanilla on the tin, well it mainly tastes like a very dark and heavy orange to me). It burns hot too. I'll keep having a go at it every now and then, though, as if I can get the technique for it right (get it a little lighter in taste and cooler) it might be quite a nice smoke.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.