Capstan and Three Nuns Discontinued

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by JimInks, Apr 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JimInks

JimInks Active Member

Daniel at Synjeco reports that STG has stopped producing Capstan and Three Nuns. They still have some in stock, but when it's gone, it's gone. I hope someday, somebody will revive Three Nuns as a VaPer and not the current tinned version, which is good, but not as good as it was. Stock up now if you need it. Even the lesser version of Three Nuns is better than no Three Nuns. Guess I'll finish the little bit I have and leave it at that.

WrightwoodJohn, Thuber88 and Jfro like this.

2. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I hope Snake sees this soon. He might go into depression if his Capstan cellar isn't up to par.

Thuber88 and Snake like this.
  3. JimInks

JimInks Active Member

I PM'd him.

Thuber88 and BradNTX like this.
  4. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Yeah , maybe they'll remake 3 nuns as a disc again ... the ready rubbed smoked way different

Thuber88 likes this.
  5. JimInks

JimInks Active Member

The tin version was disc cut. Only the pouch version wasn't. Glad I have some of the old Vaper tin version. It's worth more than gold to me, and I'll smoke it sparingly. The VaKy version was good, but not at the price you had to pay (including the shipping). The older version was magical, and my all time favorite. I'd smoke that most of the day if I had an unlimited supply.

Thuber88, PipeSimmo and FlatbushPaul like this.
  6. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

Well that's a bit sad. I like Captstan a lot, and even the "new" Three Nuns is pretty darned good.

For those that want to find "the next best thing,' you might wanna try Peter Heinrich's Special Curly. It's often compared to the "old" Three Nuns.

WrightwoodJohn, jdto, BradNTX and 3 others like this.
  7. ruffinogold

You mean the newer tin version was disc ? Hell , I didn't know that . I remember when it came back , I had gotten a tin of disc and though is was about the same and liked it . Then someone said the newer stuff was RR , which made me think I had gotten an older stock tin being it was pretty close and it had been a while sine I had the original . Now it all makes sense .The newer disc version was pretty close but not the same .. the RR capture some of the flavor but smoked way different . I finally figure it out [ the new stuff ] and now they quit making it . lol . Sending you a package of pure hate today , Jim

8. JimInks

JimInks Active Member

The tin version was always disc cut. The problem was they subbed out the perique for Kentucky. It was still very good, but nothing like the VaPer version. I'm going to try the PH Curly Cut one of these days.

I look forward to the hate! I promise to frown in honor of it before I react with glee! I've no idea what you're sending, but I'm sure I'll like it.

9. ruffinogold

Let me see ... I think , for you , it was Altadis Classic Vanilla , Radfords Sundays Fantasy , Exclusive Sherry and Cherry , Borkum Riff cherry whiskey [ it's new and yummy , cant wait for you to try it ] and one other ..... I cant remember but it wasn't as good as the fore mentioned

jdto, Thuber88 and FlatbushPaul like this.
  10. JimInks

JimInks Active Member

I'd hate to see what you'd send if you disliked me!

There should be an icon that blows taps!

jdto, Thuber88, Old Codger and 2 others like this.
  11. Waino

Waino Active Member

I have an oppotunity to buy Capstan but maybe it' s better to accept things and search new labels.

Paul Olsen My Own Blend 111 is extremely good VaPer and Olsen Vintage Flake is Virginia blend I highly recommend.

jpberg and Old Codger like this.
  12. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

I'm good.
    :th1:

13. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

X2, I love some PH Special Curly!
    [​IMG]

jpberg and JimInks like this.
  14. Hawkwood

Hawkwood Member

Another one, er.......two, bite the dust.............:(

15. JimInks

JimInks Active Member

Anybody have a small sample of PH Curly Cut they'd want to trade so I can try it?

16. Bouquelon

Bouquelon Member

Hey all. Its been a long time since I have been on here. Just thought I would let you know what I learned about the whole Capstan issue. From my sources here in Denmark I found out that Capstan is still available, it is now being produced by Mac Baren, with the same tins. I have not tried it, but I hear it is slightly different. Interestingly, if you want the same old Capstan it is now sold as Orlik English Original (blue), and English Gold. Apparently Orlik was the one manufacturing Capstan anyway, but for some reason they stopped selling it as Capstan, and sold the brand to Mac Baren. Its a bit confusing. So in short, Capstan is still available in "name", but it is not the same blend. The Capstan tobacco blend as we know it is still available, but under another name. Orlik English Original, and English Gold (see below). I have not seen the larger round tins yet.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Mac Baren Capstan.
    [​IMG]

Old Ted, Old Codger, jdto and 2 others like this.
  17. Waino

Waino Active Member

Interesting, Bouquelon. I shall taste MacBaren soon.

jpberg and Bouquelon like this.
  18. Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer Member

So the rumors are true...
    I have tasted a 2007 tin from the previous manufacturer, Imperial Tobacco, and I can tell you Capstan Original does not taste the same since Orlik makes it. To me it's Orlik's Golden Sliced's somewhat big brother.
    I do not know what it will give with Mac Baren now producing it.
    As for Three Nuns, I have never tasted the originalk coins with Per, only the RR version (still available) sold in the UK. I still have 2 tins left of the VA/KE version made by Orlik and I must say it reminds a lot of mac Baren's roll cakes but with taste and cicotine for a change.

Old Codger and Bouquelon like this.
  19. JimInks

JimInks Active Member

If MacBaren restores Three Nuns to it's original VaPer version, I see me going broke buying it

jdto, Bouquelon and Thuber88 like this.
  20. JimInks

JimInks Active Member

There's to be an official announcement about Capstan and Three Nuns on the 31st. Sounds very promising... I hope.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.