Capt. Earle Diamond Head?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by DMWyatt, May 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DMWyatt

DMWyatt Member

When I placed an order at P&C the other day, I noticed a new Captain Earle blend called "Diamond Head". Has anyone tried this yet? I'm not seeing a listing on TR yet, and I'd really like to know what's in it.

2. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Smoked a bowl from a freshly opened tin. Black, sunbaked truck tires is what I smell, burnin' ones! It's a well packed tightly pressed crumble cake very similar to Capt Earle's Private Stock or Stimulus Package. Also just opened a tin of Stimulus Package as well. Laid out a bowls worth which was just rubbed right off the block and added it to the loose toby that was in the bottom of the can. Dried it out (both DH & SP) and loaded 'em up in meers. Very nice smoke! Thick, smokey, rich, campfire, burnin' tires, not much sweet (that I got) but it was all indeed tastee! I like Private Stock so these two are right in there for me. They are indeed Lat "heavy" or as some would give them the title "Lat Bomb", a Lat by any other name........... is still a Lat! ;)

:wiz:
    Ed
    Puff

Will I get any more? With a couple of pounds of Private Stock, and a few more tins of Stimulus & Diamond, I believe I'm set for "the haul", hope St Peter likes Lat! :D

3. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Oh my! I left both bowls of Stimulus and Diamond with a little over half still remaining to be DGT'd later (after supper, I'm the cook........... so I ordered pizzas and jalapeno poppers! Puff's 30 minute meals! :) ) anyway, went back to finish Stimulus and the second half is nothing like the first half. This one DGT's marvelously! Sweet creamy thick sweet smoke, not much of the burnin' tires anymore, just a hint. The nic content on a full stomach is also quite tolerable as well. This is a great smoke! Introduced at the Richmond show last Oct. I managed to score a few tins since but prior to Maryland's "Unconstitutional Constitution" (more on that later, they're changing the law again!). Out of the 3 (Private Stock, Stimulus Package, and Diamond Head), I like Stimulus the best, it's full of good surprises. Will have to withhold final judgement until I've revisited Private Stock and finish up the DGT of Diamond Head to be somewhat fair. Hermit's got great smoke, but it's definitely not for everyone that's for sure!

:wiz:
    Ed
    Puff

Rodfather likes this.
  4. DMWyatt

DMWyatt Member

Sounds like it might be right up my alley then. Reading the description on SmokingPipes, I see Latakia, Virginia, and what they call "small leaf". Am I to understand that as being Orientals? If so, how does the flavor profile of Diamond Head compare to Westminster or Proper English? I'm finding that lat/va/oriental Englishes are the most suitable to my palette, but most everything I find with this mix is kind of mild/wimpy. If DH is kind of like Westminster on steroids, I'd be very much interested in trying it. The only Hermit/Capt. Earle blend I've tried so far is Honor Blend, and I love it! I have two friends semi-local who tried it, and it gave them indigestion, but I'm loving the stuff. If it packed the same nic hit as G&H Brown Bogie, I'd probably make it my daily smoke.

5. DMWyatt

DMWyatt Member

It has taken me nearly a year to do it, but I finally ordered and received a tin of Diamond Head this afternoon.

My thoughts are this:

HOLY COW I'M IN LOVE. I was right about it being Westminster and Proper English on steroids, but it also has depth that both lack severely. A happy man am I!

6. DMWyatt

DMWyatt Member

I'm going to Zombify my own thread for a moment to say that Diamond Head is still awesomeness. Goes great with coffee, and smokes cool and flavorful every time I fire it up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.