Captain Black harsh on the throat?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Jomodeere, Mar 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VibrativePiano6

VibrativePiano6 Member

CBW and CBG were my first pipe tobaccos waaay back in the late 90s.

I don't know if anyone else has experienced this, but CBW (and CBG) seem to mellow out nicely over time. I used to just keep it in the pouch and carry it - and it would sting towards the end. I've since started jarring it, and allowing it to air a minute or so before I pack and puff. Scores better.

Also, it's amazing in a churchwarden. Cools down immensely in the long stem.

2. uncleburl

uncleburl Member

Because of this post I've been enjoying more than a few bowls of CBW to see what's up. I've only smoked it lately in my MM cob and I have found that smoked slow it was delicious with no goop. It is from bulk as stated in a previous post, and I have had it sealed in a jar for about 6 months I figure. However, I have smoked it from a pouch in years past in a briar pipe with the common wet, goopy results many of you have experienced.
    I really like the flavor, and will try to keep it around from bulk I guess unless the price keeps going up.

3. ZuluSafari

ZuluSafari Member

+1

It was my introduction as well, with no proper instruction. It bit, it burned, it irritated. Those around me loved it! I almost quit pipe smoking. I then found SWR, PA, and CH and got better at my technique. Those around me still thought it was OK - like Grandpa smoked or some such, and I really began enjoying this pasttime. Now, I can smoke CBW with minimal bite or throat irritation, but it doesn't begin to satisy at all. I am left with no real tobacco flavor, a harsh/nasty aftertaste, and little enjoyment.

I moved on to the McClelland prenium aromatics, which really pleased those around me, didn't bite at all, and still give the satisfying tastes I want. I still have some CBW, but don't feel inclined to smoke it much.

I also found English tobaccos, virginias and va/per blends, as well as the various flakes. My wallet has suffered, but my pipe enjoyment has increased exponentially!

4. KeysandPlastic

KeysandPlastic Member

I've felt the same way, even after drying it and still after 3 months I still have the pouch, Smells ok kind of giving it doesn't age. Harsh on my throat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.