1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Captain Black Pipes

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by KingsTarantula, Jul 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KingsTarantula

KingsTarantula Active Member

I have been searching for Captain Black pipes. I have two of them and am looking to add to my collection but find them hard to find. I have been researching them as well and apparently CB tobacco pouches would have coupons in them. Collect enough coupons and send in some money and you got yourself a new Captain Black pipe. Well, as far as I know they don't do that anymore unless it's like Charlie finding a golden ticket, 1 out of a 10 million. The two I have I think the world of. One of them I got from Ksummers. They both smoke perfectly and so far are the best I have smoked.

So, my question is, where do you buy these now? Anyone have any of these? I have seen few pictures of them such as the Yoemen and the Helsmen. I have a Windjammer and a Schooner. I have never seen these online or even heard of them.

2. KingsTarantula

Ok, I found one on ebay but it's in really bad condition and I no virtually nothing about restoring. And it looks like it's a little out of alignment where the stummel meets the stem.

3. Tsalagi44

Tsalagi44 Member

Can you give a link to the ebay one?

KingsTarantula likes this.
  4. KingsTarantula

5. KingsTarantula

If you'd like I can give a link to the one I bought a few weeks ago? Just post here and I will pull it up.

6. Summit

Summit Live Simply.

Looks like the finish is peeling off. Some sort of shellack? I would like to see a pic of the top of the bowl. There's no knowing what could be in there. Someone with some refinishing skills could probably make that pipe look good again.

7. Spam

Spam Member

8. KingsTarantula

9. KingsTarantula

Coastie looked at the pics of that pipe and pointed out to me that it can be restored but that on the last pic with the stem and stummel separated there are some cracks forming from the inside out which makes it difficult to restore and a ring would need to be placed on it. But if you place another non-original part on it then it's no longer authentically original. I was very thankful for Coastie's good eye as I have missed this.

Tsalagi44 and Summit like this.
  10. Spam

Spam Member

I've never ordered from there, but from what I've read on other forums I gather it's a perfectly functional shop.

11. Summit

Summit Live Simply.

I didn't notice that either.

12. KingsTarantula

Coastie has a pretty good eye. And he was right, in time those cracks would wreck the pipe.

13. BigJ

BigJ Active Member

I have only seen them on ebay and they appear to be few and far between.

14. KingsTarantula

You are correct about that! You would think there would be more circulating due to when they were selling them for coupons in CB pouches.

15. Biggles

Biggles Member

Captain Black is an Orlik seconds line. They're made by Cadogan now and frankly, I wouldn't bother. The older ones are a different story though. I've got a straight and a bent apple, and they're both fine pipes. They're not going to wow you with special grain but the shaping is just right IMO and the engineering is spot on.

http://pipedia.org/wiki/Orlik
    http://www.pipephil.eu/logos/en/logo-c2.html

16. KingsTarantula

The pipes I have are the most perfect pipes I have. They are the old ones. The grain is amazing. A lot of birds eyes grain and no flaws or pits in them. The size is the perfect size I like. But the ones today that I have seen are not looking so great in my opinion. But I can't say how they smoke either. I only have 2 of the old ones.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.