Captain Black.. What's the story on this brand?

After reading this thread I too went out and bought a pouch of CBG and CBW. I'm halfway through a bowl of CBG in a new MM Pride straight and I don't see what all the repulsion is about. Sip slowly and the cavenish does come with the occasional vanilla flavor. I could see this becoming an occasional pass-time smoke.

Last edited:
I went searching around the past few days looking for different places i thought would sell pipe tobacco. If the place did sell pipe tobacco it was only the Captain Black brand. Why is this? Are they getting a better price then the other OTC brands they could sell? Or is it that this brand of tobacco sells and moves quicker?
For there to be a hearty supply present, there is invariably an equally hearty demand to justify. Espeically true over a long period. On this logic, there must be umpteen people passing up the good stuff for CB! :P

Whalehead King

In the 70s, CBG was the most popular smoke after cigarettes among the men of my community. It was the first pipe tobacco I smoked and it bit me. It bit me hard. I like to smoke OTCs, but, to this day, I stay away from Captain Black. Also to this day, if you ask me do describe the perfect room note, I'll tell you it's CBG. That's the first thing that pops to my mind.

Splat

So I admit it... I bought some CBW today. Just wanted to try it. My uncle used to smoke it, amongst other better tobaccos, so I figured what the hell... Well, I like it. I didn't find any of the negatives that I've read about it...ashy, burns hot, goopy, etc... and it doesn't taste like RLP6 to my tastebuds...close, but not a perfect match. So there ya go. I like it.

So I admit it... I bought some CBW today. Just wanted to try it. My uncle used to smoke it, amongst other better tobaccos, so I figured what the hell... Well, I like it. I didn't find any of the negatives that I've read about it...ashy, burns hot, goopy, etc... and it doesn't taste like RLP6 to my tastebuds...close, but not a perfect match. So there ya go. I like it.
Once you learn how to smoke it just right, it grows on ya quick. I have to admit CB White and CB Royal are quickly becoming two of my favorite tobaccos. Mild enough to smoke all day without feeling sick, tastey enough to always be a pleasure, and the note of it always draws compliments so it can be smoked in near any situation. I understand why it was and still is so popular.

Splat

Once you learn how to smoke it just right, it grows on ya quick. I have to admit CB White and CB Royal are quickly becoming two of my favorite tobaccos. Mild enough to smoke all day without feeling sick, tastey enough to always be a pleasure, and the note of it always draws compliments so it can be smoked in near any situation. I understand why it was and still is so popular.
At the risk of sounding pompous, I don't have any problems smoking anything now. I've tried many different baccos and cuts and I find myself an aro man. While CBW is not as bad as most report now that I've smoked almost the whole pouch I think the whiskey is a little much. I may get some bulk and let it sit for a while to smoothen out. I think with some time it may even better.

ChristTiger

Resident Feline
If memory serves, it was the last brand of pipe tobacco to see TV commercial time in the U.S. NY Yankee manager Billy Martin smoked it and was one the commercial. Marketing is a big reason a lot of things sell well. Distribution comes next. It appears Lane Ltd did their homework at business school.

Aromatics outsell non-aros in this country about 3-1, last I heard. The various CB's are definitely geared toward the middle of the road U.S market. I tip my hat to Lane, even though I don't smoke this stuff.
It's funny that you mention baseball. I remember Johnny Bench advertising for Big Red.

bubbagump

At the risk of sounding pompous, I don't have any problems smoking anything now. I've tried many different baccos and cuts and I find myself an aro man. While CBW is not as bad as most report now that I've smoked almost the whole pouch I think the whiskey is a little much. I may get some bulk and let it sit for a while to smoothen out. I think with some time it may even better.
I just tried CBW last night for the first time in 6+ months. All I tasted was an occasional vanilla ish hint, with a brick to the face amount of chemical residue. At this point, I'm like that with most black cavendish blends though. I smoked it in a MM cob though. I'll have to give it a try in a briar one of these days (that's what I smoked it in back when I liked the stuff).

Arkie

The only CB blend I ever tired was Gold Label and that was about 40 years ago. What I remember about it is that it tasted like suntan lotion smells. It did remind me of bodacious girls clad in only skimpy bikinis but it tasted terrible - the tobacco, not the girls.

bubbagump

The only CB blend I ever tired was Gold Label and that was about 40 years ago. What I remember about it is that it tasted like suntan lotion smells. It did remind me of bodacious girls clad in only skimpy bikinis but it tasted terrible - the tobacco, not the girls.
Yup. That stuff is pretty bad. I bought a pouch recently to see what it taste like, just for :poop:s and giggles.

Whalehead King

I'm smoking a tin of Macbaren 7 Seas Royal which, according to the reviews, is supposed to be a CB knockoff. Why someone would want to do that, I can't fathom.

I haven't matched it head to head with a pouch of the Capt. If I recall correctly, CB is goopy and very heavy on the room note. The MacB version is not goopy and seems more subtle than I remember CB being. I know this is faint praise and I'm not really trying to tout 7 Seas except that when I showed my wife the tin, she got very excited about the graphic design. Again, faint praise, but it does have some very crisply designed tin art.