Captain Black.. What's the story on this brand?

Discussion in 'OTC Over the counter tobacco' started by TheMadMan, May 12, 2012.

1. miracle419

miracle419 Member

I got a Grabow and a pouch of CB Royal for Christmas last year. I smoked 2 bowls and now I can't get the stem out of the Grabow. Second bowl kept going out because the stuff got so wet and gooey halfway down.

2. Wildcat

Wildcat Active Member

New Grabow or estate?

3. miracle419

miracle419 Member

New. I tried the freezer for 15 min. I might go overnight if I care to remember.

4. Wildcat

Wildcat Active Member

Try in and out of the freezer (hot, cold, hot, cold...)until it lets go. Use some bees wax on the tenon, sounds like a tight precise fit. I don't think this is a Capt B goop issue, just a tight fit. Which model Grabow?

5. miracle419

miracle419 Member

It's the best one that comes in the p&c gift pack. That, borkum riff Bourbon and cb royal.

Wildcat likes this.
  6. miracle419

miracle419 Member

It came apart with ease before the CB.

7. Wildcat

Wildcat Active Member

Any luck yet??

8. miracle419

miracle419 Member

Nope. It was in the freezer for 2 days this time.

9. jordansinn

jordansinn Member

Captain Black Gold was the first pipe tobacco I ever smoked and that was a while ago. I just picked up a pouch of CBW the other day with a MM Corn Cob pipe which will be my second pipe/pipe tobacco I have owned. I can say I enjoy pipe smoking so I guess I must enjoy Captain Black to some extent. Seeings how the only pipe tobacco I have smoked is the captain, I may change my mind after I've tried something else.

Ronv69 and Wildcat like this.
  10. JWG25

JWG25 Active Member

I like CBW. It was the first pipe tobacco I ever smoked. I haven't had any for a few months because I've been working through some other blends.

11. michiganlover

michiganlover Active Member

I've smoked every blend of Captain Black, and like them all except for the Cherry (which was disgusting). Their newest blend, Captain Black Dark, is by far the best of the bunch but I still greatly enjoyed the others. I have a pouch of Captain Black White/ Regular I am working through at the moment. With a pouch of Dark, and Gold on backup.

However, in my area Captain Black runs $8 a pouch and it's simply not worth that kind of money when other tobaccos are $4 a pouch.

Ronv69, jordansinn and Wildcat like this.
  12. menachem

menachem Member

Ah...London Mixture. LOVE the stuff. The wife can't stand the Latakia, but that is one of the things that gives it such a wonderful flavor. I know there are different oriental tobaccos used. Does anyone know WHAT those are?

Ronv69 likes this.
  13. craig

craig Active Member

When i was in crete in october.
    Pipe tobacco was a rare find.
    If you found it, the choice was most of the borkum riff offerings, amphora (the red one) and captain black white.
    Borkum riff and amphora when converted was round about 11 pounds.
    Captain black white on the other hand was close to 19 pounds.
    Captain black was pretty well off the list as back home i could get a tin of gl pease for same price.
    But im guessing import duties paid the price on that one.
    But i know there is a us airbase on crete so maybe thats why they had captain black.

Ronv69 likes this.
  14. Nima Parsa

Nima Parsa Member

I'm finishing the CB Round Taste pouch. The first 10 minutes is OK, then turns to a zombie smell. So it's not a good option for indoors.
    The taste is not bad but I promise myself to not come back to CBRT anymore. My next plan is Planta or MacBaren.

Ronv69 likes this.
  15. browny

browny Member

I was lucky enough to be a part of FNG/FOG and I received a few of the CB line up, I've liked them all and had no issues with clean up etc like some have reported. Yes they're a more moist tobacco but I just treat them justly and so far so good.
    This was with a MM Hardwood, MM Legend, Barling half bent and Dr Plumb 1/4 bent Rhodesian for those curious on which pipes were used.

Ronv69 likes this.
  16. frankielad

frankielad Member

Have just ordered some of the Royal bulk from 4noggins as we cannot get it in the uk , and of course it is a really good price in the states,including shipping it still works out half the price compared to the uk, rRead some reviews and watched some on youtube so thought would give it a go

Ronv69 likes this.
  17. TroyNov1965

TroyNov1965 Member

Well i tried CB once ...i ran down in the cow pasture and licked a salt block to get the taste of that s**t out of my mouth.

I like alot of OTC blends but the Captain needs to be flogged and quarted, shot , stabbed poisoned , hung and drug through broken glass.

18. PopPopsPipe

PopPopsPipe Member

They need to return to the pre 90s recipe ! Actually the early 80s was best!!

19. Joew

Joew Member

[​IMG]
    So are these just gold white and cherry with fancy names?

20. michiganlover

michiganlover Active Member

No. Black Sea has Latakia, and none of the other Captain Black blends do.

Joew likes this.