Captain Black White

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by davidmackv, Aug 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davidmackv

davidmackv Active Member

Ok, bought this blend about three weeks ago, finally got around to smoking a bowl today. Heck it was so good I smoked two bowls. I was really shocked at the nice sweet flavor. This is now my favorite OTC. Where is the cheapest place I can buy a full size tin of this stuff.

2. user1975

user1975 Active Member

3. 1stGenRex

1stGenRex Member

4. davidmackv

davidmackv Active Member

Yeah I bought some LTF from them a couple of weeks ago. I will have to check em out.

5. Nuck81

Nuck81 Member

I know CBW get's shunned quite a bit from the "Higher Ups" but I really like it. Maybe it's the fact that it's a lot less expensive and a lot easier to find, but I find myself loading up CBW more than anything else.

The Fiance likes the room note, her second favorite after Hobbits Weed, and I like the smoke. Good Stuff!!

6. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

I find CBW weird. Not because it's a bad tobacco but for some reason I don't care for it. I like the Royal and Gold ok and I like the Lane bulk tobacco (RLP-6) that is essentially CBW but CBW itself out of the can or pouch turns on me after a few puffs. Who understands the oddities of personal taste? I don't!

But it's a good one to like. Very available, reasonably affordable and has been around a long time. And you'll never find yourself out of state and out of tobacco - you can walk into just about any tobacco outlet and find it.

IrishRover likes this.
  7. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

Someone here awhile back sent me a sampler of many CB's. I thought they were all so-so but I remember liking White the best.

8. davidmackv

davidmackv Active Member

I also have CB Gold, but I don't care for it much. It is ok. I have not tried CB Royal yet. I like aros, and I get a very nice aro note from the CBW, maybe this is why I like it. I like sweetness in the smoke and after taste and CBW has a mild sweetness to me. I guess it is the same as how some people like certain food tastes while others don't eg: broccoli, okra etc...

9. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

I don't think I'm a "Higher Up" - more a 'lower down' LOL, and will happily indulge in the likes of CH and PA (when I can get them!) but on a trip to Turkey one time, I was running short of tobacco, and all that was available at the time was CBW and a couple of obscure blends, came close to quitting! that week, and could not wait to get home for a decent smoke!........BUT - each to his own (as the obligatory addition goes!) - enjoy!:th1:
    OT

10. davidmackv

davidmackv Active Member

OT, you disappoint me. You don't have a love for CBW? ;)

11. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

well, it's a bit like drinking 'Maker's Mark' for years, then having to stick to Coca Cola! :xd:
    OT ;)

davidmackv likes this.
  12. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

My principal beef with CB is that (around here at least) it's more expensive than it's worth. I saw pouches for sale at over $10/ea. the other day! At that rate I'll just take three times as much RLP-6 or what have you.

13. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

Here in this part of Texas, the local Walley Worlds and drug stores have been charging over $9 a pouch for it. I don't know what their management has been smoking, but I know what I'm not smoking - CBW at $9+ per pouch. I know that part of that has to do with Texas' insanely high tobacco tax, but I can still pick up a pouch of Carter Hall for $4.99 or Sir Walter for $4.29 - roughly half the price of what they're charging for Captain Black products. They're charging about $75 for a can. No way in Hay-Deez that I'd pay those types of prices for CBW (or any other OTC).

Which only goes to show that we should all be cellaring as fast as we can, just in case this sort of thing afflicts the rest of the tobacco industry. I'll rest comfortably when I hit the 50 pound mark... and that's only about 46 pounds left to go.

Kiowapipe and Mark w4mms like this.
  14. Dutchking22

Dutchking22 Member

I have only smoked CBW once in my life. It burned the back of my throat, never smoked it again.

15. MakDragon

MakDragon Wizard of PSF

My uncle smoked CBW exclusively. I remember as a kid and later as a pre-pipesmoking adult, how much I loved the room note of his toby. In fact, I cannot smell it today without wonderful memories of my uncle, God rest his soul. I try it every year at hunting season as I take a pouch into the woods with me with a pipe set exclusively for that CBW and those hunting days. Sadly, I could never wrap my tastebuds completely around CBW. I keep trying though......

16. Arkie

Arkie Well-Known Member

I tried the stuff when it first became available. Maybe it has improved in the last 35 or 40 years but it was soaked in glycol so badly it was sticky in the pouch. :puke: I find it strange that, of all the OTC aros, CB is praised and yet Borkum Riff is derided and SWR aro is ignored.

17. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

If ya like CBW then may i suggest the next time you make an order from WVsmokeshop you try a sample of Century z50 black cordial . IMO , it's what the captain dream he will become . CBW is good , but honestly ... this stuff is a mind blower for this style blend !

18. MakDragon

MakDragon Wizard of PSF

There is a B&M in Clarks Summit Pa called Connoly's Smoke Shop. Years ago when I first visited, I told John that I smoked CBW and he recommended one of his blends called Shannon's. Unfortunately he passed away 2 years ago but his wife continues to blend the same blends. It is a great blend! No humectants. Great room note. Tastes great! I dont know if she ships but its worth the try. He was a great guy. God rest his soul. He used to send a lot to the troops all over the world and I believe he never charged them.

19. Pschoppy48

Pschoppy48 Member

CBW used to be my "go to" blend many years ago.

20. in8angst

in8angst Member

I smoked OTC Borkum Riff bourbon blend, and Captain Black gold for years, still do smoke them often. An Edward's blend, Good Companion, is comparable to both in flavor and texture. Edward's has other blends which I try out once in a while. For price, locally, Carter Hall, at about $26 for a 14 oz. tub. That is where my money goes for right now.

in8angst

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.