Carter Hall Homey

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by briarhoff, Feb 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. briarhoff

briarhoff Member

I'm constantly hearing the hooplah about Carter Hall at PSF and I've been thinking it must be something that is not local to my area since I tried a bunch of places near me and couldn't find any. Well, I had dinner with a friend at the Spinnerstown Hotel tonight and I saw a "Smoke Shop" sign in a strip mall on my way home from Quakertown, PA, heading south on 309 (can't even find the shop on google maps right now). I stopped in and they had bags of all kinds of tobacco, real generic looking a lot of it. Lo and behold, they have Carter Hall. I bought a box (box?) of it, 1 1/2 ounce to give it a try (Soft Luxury Pouch Inside!) for just over $2. I'm sitting home now smoking it in a cob. Because it has to be in a cob, right? Wow, real smooth and just a real easy smoke! It is my first bowl of CH so I'll see if it grows on me more, but so far, so good.

The clincher is that I searched the John Middleton Co, listed on the box (box??), and according to Wikipedia, they are in King of Prussia, PA; "In 1960, John Middleton Co. moved to King of Prussia, Pennsylvania". What?????? That's where I live! OK, I have a Wayne, PA mailing address, but I'm much closer to King of Prussia. So we are neighbors? CH is my homey? My hood? Google maps shows a location in Limerick, PA which is pretty close too, but I haven't found an address in King of Prussia. Oh well, small world anyway. I'll have to make a field trip to their processing plant just to make you CH worshipers jealous. Don't worry, I'll take pics so you can enjoy. :puffy:

2. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

I bought me a pouch of CH today too...cost me $5 though...

3. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

Quakertown, Spinnerstown, RT 309... I'm originally from Allentown, and now I'm homesick - even though it really hasn't been home since 1981.

psquared, briarhoff and MakDragon like this.
  4. MakDragon

MakDragon Wizard of PSF

I must make the hour trip south on 476 to find it now that it is that close!!

briarhoff and RTOdhner like this.
  5. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

I wonder if they have a tour...with free samples at the end...

6. Thuber88

Thuber88 Active Member

Don't know if they still do it, but back in the 60-70's the Budweiser plant in FL, gave you a whole tour that ended at the long bar with lots of free samples

Mington likes this.
  7. briarhoff

briarhoff Member

Well come on back to the Lehigh Valley for a visit. I used to live in Bethlehem Township and I use Spinnerstown as a good mid-way point to meet a friend from Allentown a few times a year. If you like good food and great craft beer, stop here if you travel through http://www.spinnerstownhotel.com.

RTOdhner likes this.
  8. briarhoff

briarhoff Member

I want to find out if they do have a tour, like Coda was saying. If so, let's tie that in with the Spring trip to Boswell. Could be quite a road trip for a few PSF'rs.

MakDragon likes this.
  9. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

That's pretty cool! :th1:

CH is a blend that I wished I liked. I should like it, but it has some underlying flavoring that I find annoying. It's barely there but it ruins the entire experience. It's in a class with SWRA - great and respectable tobacco blend that I just don't like the flavor of. Kinda irritating in a way.

Rodfather and briarhoff like this.
  10. briarhoff

briarhoff Member

Strange it would be double. Maybe the extra is mostly from taxes in your state. When I'm not in the state of denial, I'm in the state of Pennsylvania, home of the cheapest CH I guess. :puffy:

11. DGErwin11

DGErwin11 Moderator Moderator

kerr,

With the great array of tobaccos available, why do you wish you enjoyed something you don't? As a man known for his adoration of CH, I have never thought it to be the perfect tobacco for everyone. You are not in any way deficient for not liking it. For other reasons, maybe.

Your tastes are different from many of us, but we still love you anyhow.

Ozark Nick, psquared and Artistik like this.
  12. briarhoff

briarhoff Member

Sounds like Kerr has that "Son, you better finish all your CH or you're not getting dessert" sort of guilt hanging over his head.

ruffinogold and Brit abroad like this.
  13. MakDragon

MakDragon Wizard of PSF

Definitely going to hit this place up with my wife next time we travel south on 476! Love these kind of places!!!

RTOdhner and briarhoff like this.
  14. PatDreadful

PatDreadful Member

I, too, live in the KoP area. Check out any local Rite-Aid, CVS or Walgreens and you'll find Carter Hall for $3 or so.

15. briarhoff

briarhoff Member

Haven't been to the Rite-Aid, but CVS and Walgreens in KoP near Henderson/202 did not have it or know of it a few weeks ago. Nothing in Walmart, Giant or Wegmans either. I know CH is lurking here somewhere though. I'm closing in on it. I'll look into Rite-Aid, thanks. Just not Woolworth's; they banned me.

EmperorGix and Johnny Dingo like this.
  16. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I didn't see any tour info on their webpage .. http://www.johnmiddletonco.com/en/cms/home/default.aspx

Their phone number is .. 888-878-4562
    Monday-Friday, 9 a.m.-7 p.m. (ET)

I'm glad you're liking the CH !Try their other products also

I like most everything J Middleton makes . I don't care for the apple or black/gold and mild stuff . The rest is good or great . I haven't seen Royal Comfort or Wine berry since .. well , a long time . PA soft Vanilla is excellent and one of the better Cavendish based blends on the market , in any price range .

dBear, jhguthlac and briarhoff like this.
  17. briarhoff

briarhoff Member

Thank you ruff for a very informative run-down on the company and their products. I will try a few other things from them and I think CH will be in my family room for a good part of my future. I'll be calling them soon to get a list of who sells them locally. The company is right in my backyard, they have to be selling to numerous retailers in the area.

18. DGErwin11

DGErwin11 Moderator Moderator

They most likely may not sell directly to the retailers, but to a wholesaler. If the big outlets won't work with you on getting it, try a local grocer.

dBear and briarhoff like this.
  19. briarhoff

briarhoff Member

Yeah, you're probably right about their supply chain. I have 1 1/2 ounce of CH to puff on along with my other baccy while I find a closer outlet.

It seems the larger grocery stores are getting out of tobacco products. Not all of them, but it may be a trend that gets wider. The PC crowd is taking its toll everywhere.

20. TWolf

TWolf Member

I don't know if you have any Weis Markets near you but they all seem to carry CH here in Maryland. Weis is based in PA but I'm not sure if they've gotten over to where you are. The Food Lion chain around here also seems to have a better selection (that's relative of course) than most and they had CH when I looked.

briarhoff likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.