Carter Hall ... pouches or tubs?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Ozark Nick, Aug 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ozark Nick

Ozark Nick Member

Not sure if this is the right forum for this, sorry if I'm wrong but here goes.

Carter Hall is quickly becoming my staple smoke.

I can buy the 1.5 ounce pouches at my local cig shop for just under $3. Or I can get a 14 ounce tub at 4noggins for $28. Both prices coming out to about $2 per ounce (not counting shipping). So price isn't really a consideration for me.

I definitely like buying local. And I kind of like buying the individual pouches, the idea being they'll stay fresher sealed in their pouches as opposed to being in a large opened tub (I don't smoke but a bowl a day if that). Also if I buy the pouches I don't have to come up with something to carry the baccy in if I decide to take it somewhere with me.

But still I wonder, is there some other advantage to buying by the tub that I'm overlooking? Thanks.

2. Scottly

Scottly Member

CH is my everyday smoke, I buy it in the tub I think it is fresher. The tub keeps it fresh for along time to I believe even after opening. It is just what ever works for you though, its good stuff no matter what it comes in. I would probably buy it at your local shop, if your getting it for less than 3$ a pouch, thats a good price. You might ask them if they would sell you a 6 pack for cheaper, or if they would order you a tub. That would save on shipping for you. Always save those Luxury Pouches, they are great for refilling out of a tub. :puffy:

3. woody

woody Admin Admin

I would say the tub is the best way to go. Keep the cardboard thing on the top and it will stay fresher longer.

4. Ozark Nick

Ozark Nick Member

But why the tub? If you don't mind me asking. :cool:

5. woody

woody Admin Admin

It just tastes better to me.

6. Strongirish

Strongirish Member

This has always been a topic of discussion. Tubs just always seem to taste better than the packs. Noone really knows why or at least I have not heard a good reason, but it always is true no matter what OTC you buy. It might be that they use less preservatives in the tubs. The tubs of today do a fantastic job of keeping the tobacco sealed and fresh. But a tobacco pouch one time and use it and they can be bought pretty cheap.

7. qwik

qwik Member

Tub makes a super*easy bowl. I stowed 3/4 in mason jars till i smoke up whats left, adding as needed

8. 1stGenRex

1stGenRex Member

Maybe it's because they add more stuff to the pouches to keep them fresh, as they are not as Air Tight? :msty:

9. DGErwin11

DGErwin11 Moderator Moderator

For some reason, I have found almost all tobacco (RYO & pipe) taste and smoke better from the tub. I like H&H and have to get a local grocer to order it for me.

10. Smoker99

Smoker99 Active Member

I am in general not an OTC smoker, but I do know most guys say the tubs taste better, and aren't bad for storage either.

11. davidmackv

davidmackv Active Member

I will have to get me a tub of half and half and test this theory.

12. Ozark Nick

Ozark Nick Member

As a corollary to this discussion ...

I usually buy the tubs of Double Bubble bubble gum to give to the kids on my school bus for special occasions, and I usually treat myself to some too!

I was at the supermarket the other day and they had a little bag of the stuff for $1 so I grabbed that since school isn't in right now.

The difference in taste is remarkable!

So I think I understand a little better what you all are saying about the tubs of tobacco. :cool:

13. Whalehead King

Whalehead King Active Member

CH is Middleton, right? The patented "Sta-Fresh Canister" actually works very well. I smoke a lot of a different brand in a cardboard tub with just a plastic lid. I am not advocating that we use more plastic, but the tobacco will keep fresh in a Middleton container for a very long time.

WK

14. Ozark Nick

Ozark Nick Member

I might just have to give it a go.

Actually, I've been enjoying Walnut from time to time when I need a break from CH and they only sell Walnut in tubs anymore so I reckon I'll have to try it soon whether I want or not! ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.