Cavendish vs. Stoved

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by LifeOfRiley, Apr 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LifeOfRiley

LifeOfRiley Member

What differences do you expect when a blend contains Va cavendish vs. stoved Va? As I understand it, cavendish is pressed together as it's heated while stoved isn't, but, in your experience, how do the different processes affect the end result? Do you find one to be sweeter than another (I'm not talking about cavendish aromatics)? Fuller? More mellow?

2. LifeOfRiley

LifeOfRiley Member

It's been almost a year so...bump.

3. Taco

Taco Member

Interesting topic. I am currently tasting many of the matured McClelland Virginias and I'm wondering what sets them apart from one another -- this topic might be relevant.

4. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Cavendish is sweeter and mellower [ softened ] . Stoved is smokier and richer ... in a nut shell .

dBear likes this.
  5. DakOOk

DakOOk Member

To me they have a totally different taste. But I am not sure I have ever had a Va cavendish as cavendish is the way they process the tobacco and from what I have heard it's usually a burley. Anyway the un-topped or cased cavendish to me is just a little sweet very little, were a stoved Va is a lot sweeter to me kinda like maple surup. The big differance though is the texture of each. The cavendish feels soft and smooth were the stoved isn't. I have actually been messing around a bit try to come up with my own blend of a stoved VA and black cavendish kinda along the lines of rattray's dark fragrant which is a blend I feel has some potential but isn't quite there. I've been using McC 5105 for the stoved Va and P&C blending cavendish. I have also been adding perique, but alittle to heavy handed with it so far.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.