Cellar, Jarrin & fresh Tobacco

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by kurtis42501, Jul 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kurtis42501

kurtis42501 Member

Just when you thought i might be done asking question and start smoking, i am back with more. i have been reading some of the older post about jarring & cellaring larger quantities but i have not came across anything on just keeping a few tins fresh. i got my shipment in today of some of the tobacco you all recommended in my cigar vs pipe post and am eager to open them ALL up and start smoking. how do i keep them once open? i live in Missouri and the humidity is often in the 80's do i keep opened tin in the fridg, humidor so on and so forth. is there an ideal humidity to keep pipe tobacco at? any comments are truly appreciated. Kurtis

2. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

If your not gonna get to the tins real soon than just pop the tobacco in a mason jar . If yer gonna smoke the tin withn a week or so , depending on the blend , Then you'd probably be ok w/ letting it stay in a tin .

3. alchemist

alchemist Member

Whatever you do, don't use the fridg. A refrigerator is designed to dry out its contents.

Take ruffinogold's advice: unless you're going to smoke through a tin a few days' time, put the stuff in a clean mason jar. Not an old jelly jar -- a mason jar, the kind with the separate lid and band. That'll keep your tobacco at a stable humidity level regardless of surrounding conditions.

4. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

Alot of tobacco needs a good bit of drying. I live on the gulfcoast where humidity is usually 80%+. I can keep open tins for weeks, even months before it gets too dry. I just watch my open tins close. When it gets to the point it is just about perfect for smoking I jar it to keep it from getting too dry. Sometimes it takes 2-4 weeks to get to that point. Sometimes longer. Usually I have it all smoked before I have to jar it. I guess your local humidity and where you keep your tins will dictate how much time you have before they get too dry.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.