cellaring question: repack huge tin in jars now or later?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by skippymchaggis, Jun 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skippymchaggis

skippymchaggis Member

i've been working on adding some depth to the cellar. i've got some blends that i like that i can get in 1 pound tins for a large discount over the price for a pound of 50g/2oz. size tins. i can't normally get this stuff in bulk.

the 1 pound tin is definitely cellarable. but i can't smoke a whole pound of stuff very fast at all. so when i open it, i'll have to repackage it in smaller jars. i know that doing this will alter the aging process significantly. what i'm trying to decide is, should i get the big tin, and immediately repack it? or just let it sit as is, and repack when i get to it and just enjoy the experience at that point?

i guess my goal would be consistency in the flavors and trying to stay true to the 2oz tin size flavors, as that's what i'm used to, while saving a little money in the process (actually it can be quite a lot).

should my thought process be: the 1 lb. tin was recently tinned, so opening it now and repacking it in jars will have a negligible affect on the overall aging process
    -as well as-
    it will age slower in a 1 lb. tin compared to a 2 oz. tin due to volume issues, so repacking small early on will also help it stay closer to an aged 2 oz. tin in flavor?

or is there something i'm missing?

2. Zfog

Zfog Member

I would just jar it up now, in about 4 jars. So like you said, you can open one and not disturb the aging process of the whole lot.

3. t-bear

t-bear Active Member

Skip...
    If your plan is to age this tobacco for a year or more, I would just leave it in the tin. When you do pop the tin then, you can separate it into smaller containers. Sounds like you're trying to build your cellar. Stashing a number of these larger tins is a good (and economical) way to do this. Put a bunch away....and forget about them! Buy the smaller 2oz/50g tins to smoke now.

4. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

I'm with T-Bear. Jarring it down the road when you finally decide to crack the tin shouldn't cause any problems.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.