Cellaring Saves Another

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by nesta, Jan 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

So the past several months I've bought a few pipes here and there, but I've also stocked up on quite a lot of tobacco. A ton of bulk, and more than a few tins are all jarred up - and some tins have yet to be opened.

I've got everything I need....a couple floral blends, a good set of English and Oriental blends, OTC burley, C&D burley, a little bit of VA and even a touch of aromatic. I've bought ounces, pounds, tins, and collected more samples than I know what to do with. I'd say I probably have enough tobacco to last me around a year to a year and a half if I continued smoking the way I do without buying anything more.

This is an excellent thing. When I got here, I considered it a luxury to be able to have more than 2 or 3 tobaccos on hand at a given time, and had nothing jarred up to stay fresh for long. But seeing everyone discussing this blend and that blend and "oh you gotta try this, cellar, cellar, cellar!" everyday got to me, and my interest picked up and one thing led to another and, what do you know, I may have a relatively modest cellar all things considered, but it will get me through lean times if need be.

Which is saving my butt right now. I already don't work many hours a week, but after the holidays our hours got seriously slashed. I have 12.5 hours this week, and I worked 16 last week.

Needless to say, I'm not likely to pick up a new tin anytime soon. But that's okay, because while I'm searching for a new job after my last day of work for the week (tomorrow) I'll have more than enough to choose from, in any style I like.

So this is a public service announcement, to anyone who has yet to pick up the TAD bug: squeeze in a little extra money to buy extra tobacco and stock up at every convenient opportunity. Thinking of buying an ounce each of a few C&D blends? Don't. Pick the one you really want and buy a half pound to a pound of it. You'll save a substantial amount of money, and lets face it, you can get the same amount of one of the other blends you wanted in a few weeks and then have a lot of BOTH of them on hand. If you find something you like that comes in bulk, DON'T buy it tinned. Stock up whenever you have some extra money, and you'll be sitting pretty when money gets really tight - I'm living proof!

Now this doesn't mean that it doesn't kill me a little that I can't at least get another tin or two for a little while, once you get into TAD mode it's hard to stop....but actually smoking the tobacco rather than buying it does help to seriously alleviate that discomfort!

So I know it's been advocated time and again, but just remember......cellar!!!!

RTOdhner, NoRm, Preacher1611 and 7 others like this.

2. shadow

shadow Active Member

Hi, Nesta!
    First of all: Good luck with your work search!
    Secondly: Cellaring is great! Some of the toby actually gets better with just a little ageing!
    Enjoy!:bing:

Rewster66 likes this.
  3. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

Got to love the cellar!

Rewster66 likes this.
  4. soundlzrd

soundlzrd Active Member

Nice addition! And if you hAve a good cellar there is always trading!

Rewster66 likes this.
  5. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

I just don't know what I'd do if I was in my present financial situation and down to my last three bowls of the only tin I had on hand! Seems like I'd almost definitely end up going back to RYO cigarettes

6. Capt

Capt Active Member

I'm sure we could scrounge you up a few oz.

ol gto, CalPiper, Mark w4mms and 3 others like this.
  7. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

Good luck on the job searching!!
    I hear ya on the TAD, once you're infected with it,.....well you know now...

8. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Great post, Nesta! Another student turned teacher.
    Cellar when you can, so you can smoke when you can't!

9. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Yeah, no one goes hungry around here... we leave no man (or woman) behind.

10. FlatbushPaul

FlatbushPaul Cellar is located in an undisclosed bunker

Cellering tobacco is a great thing indeed. I just keep buying what i can whenever I can so I'll have enough when and if it becomes too expensive to buy. I saw that in NY there is a 60% tax on a lb of tobacco at some sites if being purchased from a NY address.
    Good luck in your search for a new job.

Paul

11. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

All for one, and one for all (pipers)!

HCraven, CalPiper and Mark w4mms like this.
  12. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

In that case, diregard basically everything I've said so far. Replace it with: Oh, woe is me! I've just smoked my last crumb of Prince Albert! Now I'm down to one bowl of tobacco left, and it's Mixture 79.....sigh, I guess I'll have to live with it....unless someone saves me from my misfortunes!

Preacher1611, HCraven, zirrow and 3 others like this.
  13. user1975

user1975 Active Member

:laff:

14. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

The mere fact that you have Mixture 79 in your cellar absolves me of any responsibility. :ohyh:

HCraven and FlatbushPaul like this.
  15. CalPiper

CalPiper Member

Yeah Nesta I feel your pain as you saw in my other thread "Well, Dang it" where I explained my troubles. Over the last couple years I have built up a respectable collection of jars and tins that have been stocked up and labeled nicely. Now that my last day of work is this Friday and I will be let go, its a good little ray of sunshine to know I have all that tobacco as a life raft to keep me afloat for the forseeable future when I am needing a good smoke.

Good luck with the work search as myself and alot of other people are right here with you. Almost broke my heart when my wife teared up when we were going over what bills to cut and how to afford food and stuff and I asked her what is wrong and she said "When you said no more tobacco runs or pipe stuff anymore for you, I knew it was bad." You gotta do what you gotta do.:(

16. Rewster66

Rewster66 Active Member

I concur with Kerr. (Yes I am a part time poet) I'm sure nobody around here would go without tobacco for long. If they did it would be their own fault for not letting all their buddies here know.:)

HCraven likes this.
  17. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Since Nesta is down to his last few bowls...and he smokin' M-79....Quick! Everyone sen your "excess" M-79 so he'll feel loved;)!

Good going N!

Cellar deep & wide & NOW! ;)

Ed
    Puff

18. soundlzrd

soundlzrd Active Member

I already gave him all I had!

19. Rewster66

Rewster66 Active Member

:haha:

20. Jay

Jay Active Member

Don has lots of it, I'm not sure if he is ready to part with it though!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.