1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Chacom and Italian Viking Pipes?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by paintedklown, May 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paintedklown

paintedklown Member

Hello all,

I see there is an online vendor who has a deal on Chacom and Italian Viking Pipes (among several others) but aside from the (metal) Falcon pipes on their site, I don't really know too much about any of the brands they carry.

I am not sure about the rules for posting links (nor if I am able to), but there are a couple of Chacom pipes that I REALLY like the look of (bet some of you could guess which two) and if you add a third pipe, you can get it at no cost!

Please advise regarding these pipe brands, or if there is another brand (aside from Viking) that would be a better option to add with the two Chacom's, then please let me know.

Also, please note, while I DO like the look of the Chacom pipes, I do NOT want to buy pipes that look cool, but do not smoke very well. If that is the case, then please let me know before I spend my $$$. I ask, because 1. I do not know anything about these pipes, and 2. For about the same money, I can get a Savinelli, which I have heard a LOT of good word about.

Any and all opinions, thoughts, and advice would be greatly appreciated. :)

2. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Chacom makes pipes from cheaper to expensive . They've been making pipes for a long time and if they haven't figured it out by now they'd be complete morons . I really like their Army pipes ! Anyway , thay make a good pipe . I'm partial to Savinelli and it may be worth a peak at those as well

Thuber88 and paintedklown like this.
  3. paintedklown

paintedklown Member

Thanks Ruffinogold. I am new to pipes, and only have a few so far. A Dr. Grabow Grand Duke (my first pipe), a MM Legend cob, a MM mini cob, and I have a Peterson 2012 Dracula X105 (billiard) that is on its way as I type this.

While I have some pipe lust going on, I do think that for myself, I would rather have fewer "nice" pipes than more "ok" pipes, if that makes sense. In other words, I would rather have a small collection of pipes that smoke well, than a larger collection of lesser quality pipes, that I do not enjoy smoking from. Even if it means only having a small collection as I save up for each purchase. I am also not taking about high dollar pipes either. I cannot afford $400 pipes...I am talking good "bang for the buck" type stuff.

Since I really only have two briar pipes (and my collection is just getting started) I feel that it's still early enough to make well thought out, and well informed pipe buying decisions. I don't want to add a pipe to my collection unless it's going to add to the "quality" of my collection, and not just the "quantity" alone.

I hope no one takes that comment the wrong way either, please don't get me wrong here all. I will have to space my pipe purchases VERY far apart to be able to buy even $100 pipes, but I will save even more than that (if needed) to make sure that each addition to my pipe rack strengthens my collection. I figure while I am saving for my next briar, I will just use what I have + MM cobs. TBH, I really like cobs anyway, so it's not like I feel like I am suffering any in the meantime. ;)

I hope all of that makes sense, and that I do not sound like I am trying to be some sort of "pipe snob" as (I assure you) that is FAR from being the situation. I am just coming from the land of audio/home theater gear and with that I bring a valuable lesson that I learned the hard way "Buy nice, or buy twice".

I don't want to have to keep buying pipes to replace ones that don't smoke very well, simply because I let my lust for "cool looking pipes" cloud my judgement. I am FAR too poor to do that. :oops:

Thuber88 likes this.
  4. ruffinogold

I see where youre coming from and understand , mostly . The Savinelli for 66 bucks [ or any of them , really ] is quality all the way and will , more than likely , smoke as well as a 100 dollar pipe . The Medico , though only 20 bucks , will smoke good enough but the thing is , as you start smoking the pipe and getting into it more over time , you may want a decent smoking pipe while youre out and about , other than a cob [ I see you have the Grabow which works well for a outdoor pipe also ] . I call them beater pipes and yes , you can smoke a cob while fishing or going to the beach or whatever . But it's nice to have a briar pipe that , if it gets hosed up while doing something outdoors , that you'd only be out 20 bucks . I think as you smoke over the years you'll find that your " buy nice , or buy twice " might not apply to pipes as much as electronics . If the wood is good and it's drilled properly .. then there's a more than fair chance it will smoke fine . Just so ya know , not that I'm bragging , I owned hundreds of higher end and collectable pipe years ago and sold most of them and kept what I smoked mainly and the ones that were sentimental ... the brands that I have most of currently is Kaywoodie .... go figure . It's like Golf clubs ... you could spend 4,000 bucks on a set of clubs or 400 ... yer game is gonna be the same given a yard or two here and there . I used to enjoy whipping the a** of guys that had a 4000 dollar set . My 200 dollar Wilson Prostaff set did it every time :) ... point is , often time it's the playa .. not the equipment

Thuber88 and paintedklown like this.
  5. paintedklown

paintedklown Member

A lot of wisdom in your post good sir. Thank you for passing it along. :)

As you can see, my ignorance (in the literal sense of the word) of pipes is certainly showing in my posts. :oops: However, that is EXACTLY why I am here. To get an education in pipes, tobacco, and pipe smoking. There is also a saying that says "A fool and his money will soon part". I would rather make an "educated" purchase of another Grabow than an "uneducated" purchase of an artisan pipe, if in fact, the Grabow would be a better fit for my needs. :cool:

High cost does not always equate to high quality, and low cost does not always equate to low quality, that I am quite sure of. I have already read plenty of posts with guys talking about getting some of their best smoking (and favorite) pipes as low cost "basket pipes". You just have to know what to look for in a quality pipe. Now I need to become educated on how to do this myself, and that will involve me spending a lot of time on this forum. :beck:

Thuber88 likes this.
  6. Thor

Thor Member

italian viking pipes are pipes that used to be made and sold as bjarne viking pipes. they just kept making them after he went to meet Odin in Valholl so it is essentially the same pipe some retailers call viking or mistakingly still call bjarne pipes.

7. ruffinogold

Bjarne never made the pipes , btw . He was a nice guy and would come to America once a year or so and visit the B&Ms along with a setup of mobile containers of his companies pipes . But he didn't make the pipes himself , he had employees do it . He was the sales force :th1: I bet when he got to Valholl , he sold them some pipes . Odin is smoking some W.O. Larsen Old Fashioned right now

Thuber88 likes this.
  8. Thor

Thor Member

Exactly. the italian viking pipes paintedklown mentioned were contracted to make pipes for bjarne, and now they are just selling the same pipes without his name attached to them.

9. paintedklown

paintedklown Member

How would you guys rate these, and the (lower cost) Chacom pipes for smokability? (I think I just invented a word there :rolleyes:) For the curious, I am looking at the Chacom Diablo pipes. They have a bent and straight pipe available. IMO, these look (kind of) like the Peterson Dracula pipe. Not sure why, but I am in love with the look of a black pipe w/ red stem. :cool:

Would I be better served putting my money elsewhere?

10. Thuber88

Thuber88 Active Member

The same rules apply for pool cues, and a good post Oh Great Lord Ruffino!

ruffinogold, paintedklown and Mington like this.
  11. Thor

Thor Member

i just got an e-mail from pipes and cigars talking about private labeled savinelli that are nice and are reasonably priced.

12. michiganlover

michiganlover Active Member

I just purchased a Chacom Poker last week.

I have smoked two bowls through it so far, but with my limited experience with it, I am loving it. The bit feels much more comfortable in the mouth than most of my other pipes.

Chacom is strongly related to, but independent of Comoy a very well known pipe brand:

Chacom is associated with one of the oldest pipe companies. In 1825, in the small village of Avignon, near the birthplace of pipes, St. Claude, France, the Comoy family began making pipes from boxwood for Napoleon's army. In 1879, Henri Comoy and his cousin Chapuis started working together to make briar pipes in France to be sent to London (to where Comoy ultimately moved). Chapuis Comoy became one of the most famous companies in 1922. Combining their names, Chacom officially became a brand in 1928. Over the next few decades, the company continued to grow, producing pipes that were distributed to be sold in France, Belgium, Scandinavia, Germany, the United States, Japan, and others.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.