1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Chacom Pipe

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Lucas Pipe, Dec 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lucas Pipe

Lucas Pipe Member

Hello friends, how are you? The reason for this post is to ask about the new pipe I want to buy. It is a French Chacom pipe intermediate quality. Have you any idea what quality are made of? Have you tried smoking it? I would like you to share your experiences with me, to know how to evaluate at the time of purchase. Greetings to all! :sailor:

2. Texhealer

Texhealer Active Member

I've got a couple, a 4 square, paneled billiard and a briar calabash shape, I like them both real well good smokers nice lookers, I've worked the stems and airways (as with most of my pipes) so the draw is wide open but they are pretty well made pipes.

I've sold probably 50 or 60 pipes this year but never considered selling either of these.

3. hoss

hoss Member

I have had 2. One was a bent apple with horn stem which i now regret selling at a point when i had my sights set on higher grades and the other is still in my rotation - one of the least expensive and most elegant pieces in my current collection. Both are/were great smokers. I say, if it's w/in your means, by all means pull the trigger! Enjoy...

4. Lucas Pipe

Lucas Pipe Member

Thank you both for your opinions dear friends. I will definitely buy that pipe, since I saw was love. Greetings!

5. bazsup

bazsup Member

I brought a Chacom home from Paris. It's a good smoker. Nothing special but worth the price.

6. Lucas Pipe

Lucas Pipe Member

Thanks bazsup, I will consider your recommendation. Greetings.

bazsup likes this.
  7. Fr Tom

Fr Tom PSF Chaplain Old Ted Award 2017

I have a Chacom Canadian I like a lot. it has a couple of fills that don't do anything to smoking quality, and you have to expect them unless you are paying big bucks.

[​IMG]

ruffinogold, WalkinStick and just5042 like this.
  8. cmatsangos

cmatsangos Member

Lovely pipe Fr Tom.

Fr Tom likes this.
  9. Fr Tom

I had a Canadian that I bought at the Grand Vizar pipe shop in Poitiers in 1979. It was It had lines I loved - a very slight cant to the bowl/bend in the stem. I smoked that thing like a chimney, and it was a great smoker. I had it in my pocket and broke the stem off. I put it someplace safe until I could get a new one made.

We were in the process of moving, and I never saw it again. I can't remember where I put it, and I never stumbled across it. This Canadian was my attempt to find another with lines as good as the other (to my eye). It is not the same exact style, but it is a great smoker. It is also not the pipe I lost, and I don't reach for it quite so often...

10. datto

datto Member

My newest (second) pipe is a chacom square shank apple. On the pipe craved 'chacom de prima'. I'm a beginner and I gotta say I love the chacom. Great price & smokes good. But recently I found out that my pipe got scratch. I didn't know how it happen. Sad

11. jaysmokespipes

jaysmokespipes Member

Anyone know about this Chacom bulldog style black sandblasted. Says antique3 398 France
    I was told from the 70's??
    Thanks. Hope the link works for a pic

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ruffinogold and bubbagump like this.
  12. jaysmokespipes

jaysmokespipes Member

I forgot to mention the
    Above listed Chacom pipe I bought about 5-6 yrs ago for $50 I got this one a small straight and a slight bent $50 each ? Told they were vintage 70's and liked them so?? My favorite is the one above though. I don't understand why it would say antique on it. Is it really70's era ya think ora reproduction. Thx.

13. Fr Tom

Carter Hall in a MM 5th Ave Diplomat

Edit: oops - should have been in WAYS

Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
    TedVig and Kevin Keith like this.
  14. AlexanderM

AlexanderM Member

From what I read Chacom makes a good product for a solid price.

I think french pipes like Butz Choquin and Chacom are somewhat of a bargain - they're not "in vogue" so their prices are somewhat better than the more popular brands, but their quality is pretty much equal.

15. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Theyve been making pipes since they figured briar was the wood to use ... and before ! I'd say it was a safe bet to score one of their pipes :th1:

Kevin Keith likes this.
  16. jaysmokespipes

jaysmokespipes Member

Good to know thx.
    I had heard of butz but not the Chacom at the time so I guess it a "name brand". So $50 a piece seems ok I recon?

ruffinogold likes this.
  17. AlexanderM

AlexanderM Member

Whether its a good bargain depends on the model and condition naturally. I don't know this model but if you did pay more than its worth - it wasn't much more. I see Chacom's go for that kind of money regularly on ebay. I don't follow briar pipes nearly as much as meerschaum so take that for what its worth.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  18. jaysmokespipes

jaysmokespipes Member

Thx. For the info Alexanderm

19. haikucub

haikucub Member

my guess is that "antique" refers to the particular line of chacom, not its date of production. i don't own a chacom, but I do have two butzs that i love. both are worth well more than i paid for them.

20. haikucub

haikucub Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.