1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Chacom pipes?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by BD74, Mar 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BD74

BD74 Member

My local shop sells Chacom pipes and I am thinking of getting one as they are quite cheap.

Any idea if they are ok?

Where are they made?

Thanks.

2. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

They're French. I wouldn't buy one. Quality control is poor. Some are okay, some are bad.

3. Legend

Legend Member

I've heard the same...although I have a friend who buys Chacom Canadians all the time, he really likes 'em.

4. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Back in the day they were pretty damn nice . Which one you lookin at ?

5. BD74

BD74 Member

Hmmm...maybe the 909 Plume or the 907 Plume. Both are 40 euros (about 55.6 dollars).

6. ruffinogold

They look like these .. http://pipechacom.com/en/pipes-traditionnelles/chacom-pipes-light-pipes-plume-95.htm ... These look nice enough . Pipe cleaner pass ? Check fit and finish ... looks good imo . The bent is sure elegante

or this ... http://s295.photobucket.com/albums/mm129/kenobiitti/?action=view&current=plume909_20.jpg&newest=1

The dark red I'd stay away from . Because anything that dark from a factory is more than likely hiding some putty etc ... plus that dark one has no grain [ almost ] more than likely way down in the burl ... not very good briar [ the B.S. artists back in the day called it heartwood .. lol ]

7. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

+1 on the pipecleaner test. You understand that?

Also, an LED flashlight shined into the chamber will reveal if the airhole is low (right at the heel of the chamber is good) and center (not a deal breaker if it's off a bit).

Fills if any (putty used to fill small defects in the wood) are usually obvious on careful inspection. Fills don't necessarily mean there's a smoking problem but, whenever I get a pipe with a fill in it, that's all i see when I smoke the pipe.

8. BD74

BD74 Member

Nope! :dunno:

9. Mister Moo

If you can't pass a pipecleaner into the stem and out through the airhole (inside the chamber) of a new pipe there are those among us who would call that a deal breaker. Sometimes a pipe needs to be swabbed out during a smoke and the inability to easily insert a pipecleaner can be annoying, especially to those of us who are easily annoyed (me, for example). Problems passing a pipecleaner through a straight pipe suggest irregularity in the airway that may cause airflow turbulence associated with gurgling.

Bent pipes can be more difficult than straight pipes to admit a pipecleaner - the more the bend the more the difficulty. Some bent pipes let them slide right through; others encourage a mildly artistic combination of pipecleaner pre-bending and enroute-twisting to get the tip from point A to point B.

I prefer straight and bent pipes that pass a pipecleaner without issue but, with bent pipes, I may concede a bit of lockpicking skill is acceptable.

jdto likes this.
  10. BD74

BD74 Member

Ok - thanks...

Would you do this in a shop before buying?

(I can imagine the looks you would get - hihi).

Is that something to consider with all pipes?

11. Mister Moo

Always

12. jhe888

jhe888 Member

Any inexpensive to moderately priced pipe might have a fill. Some are not bothered in the least by them, and as long as they are small, they don't affect the smoke at all. I am a little like Mister Moo, in that when I smoke one of mine with a fill, I tend to dwell on it. I'd rather they just turn that pipe into a sandblast or rusticated pipe.

13. r0n54

r0n54 Member

You have got to check them out real close before leaving the store or at least before smoking it. A while ago I got a Peterson Kinsale, not expensive but not cheap either. I did not look it over very carefully before I bought and smoked it. Then later when polishing it I noticed a small fill. And like Moo said everytime I pickup and smoke that pipe my eye is drawn to that damn fill spot. I like the pipe but it still pisses me off. Lesson learned the hard way.

14. BD74

BD74 Member

Thanks for all the tips. My first pipe was a gift, my other 2 were online purchases and I own 2 cobs. So I couldn't check for fills etc.

How does it affect the pipe and smoking?

15. Mister Moo

Aesthetically. Maybe you could stretch the idea that a fill on the outside means potential (burnout encouraging) flaws on the inside... You have to ask a pipemaker about that, though. I had a big old Amphora bulldog (one of two pipes off Ebay that cost me $7.00 total) covered with fills and it smoked like a champ. It was kinda pockmarked looking but it was hard to beat in the long, cool smoke department.

16. ruffinogold

I dont think so . If Mike parks made a dark stained pipe it would be perfect . The photo I linked to just had that " look " to it that it either had boring grain or lots of fills .. which isnt the end of the world but if yer spending money why not shop around . That first link had some nice looking pipes ... they probably cost the same as the other . Which one would you want right!?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.