Changes to University Flake

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by nesta, Dec 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

So how long ago did they change the format for UF? The tin I just got was identical to previous ones dimensionally, but had very subtly different tin art. I just opened the tin to jar it up tonight, and the flake is totally different than it used to be. Instead of being about like sticks of chewing gum laid on their sides, they now are cut more along the lines of LNF or OGS, only slightly thicker. The flake seems to also be less densely pressed. The scent seems just a bit different than the last tin, also, but then by the time I finished the last tin the tobacco was pretty dry and the scent had probably changed due to so much time to breath. I assume the scent difference is all in my head....

But still, when did they change the presentation, and have you noticed any improvement or drawbacks as a result? I think the new format may allow me to "fold and stuff" and get a better experience with it that way than the old flakes, but still I loved it the way it was. I can't see a reason to change it.

2. StoneGiant

StoneGiant Member

No idea, I just bought my first tin of University Flake a few days ago as a plan to branch out from OTC and whats in the jars at Tinderbox, so I have no idea if I got a new one or an old one, or when the change happened.

Mine was pressed in to the length and thickness of gum, but about as wide a a stick of gum plus another half.

It smelled very aged, the closed thing that comes to mind is "sort of beef jerky kind of not really", and it packs a punch nicotine wise. There's a faint fruit smell, reviews I've read say plum or fig or something like that.

This stuff is strong, almost like a cigar in regards to nicotine and flavor, not at all what I was expecting since I mainly smoke Captain Black and Prince Albert. (not a lot of variety in my neck of the woods, there's a Tinderbox but they're about it, and I don't care for most of their aromatics, so I go with the OTC since it's available and not horrible)

Also the whole pressed thing was a total surprise, I didn't do any research and had no idea about flake tobacco. I just heard the stuff in the tin was good, so I asked the guy behind the Tinderbox counter for something tinned that contained burly that wasn't aromatic, and he handed me UF. I was like what the heck, is this beef jerky? How do I smoke it? I later figured out to rub it out to the desired consistency, or you can "fold and stuff", I think I'm going to be a rubber.

I'm sure someone with more experience can weigh in on your question and tell us when it changed.

3. StoneGiant

StoneGiant Member

I just figured it out, this stuff is no longer kick your butt strong lay down and take a nap!

I'm an ex cigarette smoker, and have been struggling with fast puffing, I get away with it most of the times due to my penchant for OTC burly, but this stuff is SO STRONG it kicked me to the curb got hot and angry and just beat me down.

So I sat down, packed this pipe loosely since I learned flake expands...
    [​IMG]
    And I slowly carefully coaxed it, I didn't rush it, I didn't push it, I just BARELY lit it and puffed small and slow enough to keep it just slightly lit. (fun story, that meer is a nice pale yellow and the bowl is turning a rose / amber color already, I'm making this my go to regular pipe to see if I can color it even more, will post a pic of the color update when I get a chance)

HOLY HELL, all the difference in the world. It took me almost a half hour for two thirds of a bowl but this stuff sings, it's complex, it's flavor is really complicated, and I smoked it down to the heel no dottle no wetness, I fee that something clicked and I leveled up in pipe smoking...

Now when it comes to lunch breaks or even ten minute breaks at work I fear that Irish Flake is not for that, but when you have the time to burn this stuff is gold!

It's still really REALLY strong though lol

4. sarge564

sarge564 Member

Funny, I had some a while back and got another tin (Sept ?). Didn't notice the difference in the tin but thought the leaf looked a little different and I thought it was stronger with a bigger nic hit. Just figured it was me or ( laugh if you want) fall smoking rather than spring. I blended in a little of Ashton's rainy day and now makes a really good smoke. So, you have merit to your discovery just not sure as to the details.

5. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

I used to smoke a fair bit of this stuff, and I think it changed alot even before they went to the square tin. I hear people talking about blueberries and other fruity tones and I can't for the life of me remember anything like that. I only ever bought one of the square tins, and it was a different tobacco than what I smoked in the nineties and early 00's.

6. StoneGiant

StoneGiant Member

I don't know nothing bout no blueberries or any other fruit in the flavor, it's just STRONG, like a burly cigar is all I can call it. The tin aroma is sort of prunes or grapes, but that was when I first opened it and rubbed it all out, now it's drying out and just smells strong.

My girlfriend thinks ALL pipe tobacco blends smell like raisins / prunes in the pouch tin, to the point where she insists that those food items are utilized in the production of all pipe tobacco. I keep arguing back that it reminds you of that because tobacco is dried and so are prunes and raisins and your brain is jumping to conclusions, but she wanted me to ask the professionals,

Do ALL pipe tobaccos contain / involve raisins or prunes during production? Because I don't think they do...:shead:

7. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

All my UF tins are old as they have been in the cellar for years. Need to pick up a new tin and compare them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.